Psu

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

fang508

Recently I had my PSU Show signs of failing on my main computer (I'm on my older comp atm).

My best way of describing... a semi loud hissing sound was emitting from the PSU, this went on for maybe a minute or two before I turned it off. So, I took the PSU out of my comp, took the cover+fans off, dusted it, and then turned it on with the paperclip trick. It made a sound that I could only describe as.. an Very high pitch whine and when I turn it off the sound lowers in pitch till no sound at all.This wasn't a very loud sound but I could hear it.And as for the hissing... I tested the PSU without anything plugged into it with the paperclip trick before taking the fans out, and no hissing...

Plus, the Second reason I think it was failing, at this moment I'm on a C2D 1.8ghz 2gb ram win XP and the Same gfx that I pulled from the main comp (Radeon HD 4670).

My main's specs are:

Phenom II 805 x4 2.5Ghz (OCed to 3.5Ghz)
4GB Samsung DDR3 1333Mhz
Radeon HD 4670
Win XP

Now, My main comp in the last 2-3 months Stoped being able to play (lots of Stuttering) DVD video,720P or 1080P Properly, Even after a complete reinstall of XP+Latest drivers.

This C2D that I'm on now plays all of them Perfectly and Smooth.

But my real question is... is it possible that PSU could of damaged any of my components in the main before I stopped using it?and if so, how Exactly can I tell?

Triple6

Rob
Possibly yes, but can you tell, not without running it with another power supply. Make sure any new PSU is a quality unit of sufficient wattage and with headroom, and see how the computer works.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online