1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PSU's.........choice..??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by XP-1800, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XP-1800

XP-1800 Thread Starter

In the near future as part of my upgrade, I might be looking for a new PSU.
    At the moment I have a Macron 400W unit, which I have no problem with, as everything works fine.
    I notice that Q-Tech PSU's are very cheap compared to say Enermax etc.
    Anyone have opinions on make of PSU to buy ?
    It is way down on my list of things to upgrade, as my current one seems to work fine, but I quite fancy getting a 400W plus job and would welcome your opinons.....:)
    Thanks.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    What you want is the best quality you can even remotely afford. I would sugget an enermax or Antec, or Kingwin of at least 450W. There are other brands as well. But you dont want to get a cheapo PSU only to havew it either give out on you or worse blow your comonents as it gives out on you. a PSU with temp controled fan would be nice. And remember a lot of the PSU requirement is going to depend on what you are putting in your system therefore on the PSU.

3. zeddy

zeddy

Your current PSU is fine. When you are looking to upgrade it will most likely still be fine, if you fancy a change then Enermax or Antec are good (but not cheap).

4. XP-1800

XP-1800 Thread Starter

Thanks zeddy and dustyjay.
    I am in the process of upgrading, and have changed the mobo and gfx card, so I now have:
    XP Pro.
    XP1800 + Aero 7 lite
    Abit NF7-S v2.0
    2 x 256 'no-name' PC2100 DDR
    Creative FX5900
    Macron 400W psu
    Lite-on cd-rw 52x32x52
    cd-rom 32x
    20GB Seagate 5400 hdd.

So on the list is the cpu, memory and hdd to be changed out.
    The Macron seems pretty sturdy and weighs about a couple of kilos. The wiring seems capable, thick where needed, and plenty of connectors.
    According to Abit EQ the voltages seem within spec.
    But I may well bung in an Antec, Enermax etc but it is way down on the list.
    Thanks for the pointers of what to look for when I do change it.
    Cheers......:)

5. zeddy

zeddy

At the risk of offending your moniker. Why have you not upgraded the 1800XP to something a bit more meatier?

6. XP-1800

XP-1800 Thread Starter

No offence taken zeddy...............it is on my list............:)
    Am toying between an XP2800 Barton, or the XP3200............tis down to money.
    If I settle for the 2800, then I shall probably get PC2700 memory, but if I can find enough change down the side of the chairs, then the 3200 will need PC3200 memory to match the fsb's.
    As I say, I have started the upgrade with the mobo and gfx card.........the rest is to follow...........easy peasy........just need the money................:D
    I hope to get one item per month, starting soon as I can talk the wife into believing it to be extremely important for our health, and well being..................:D

7. Rockn

Rockn

Antec or if you can afford it PC Power and Cooling.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!