1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Public Computer Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by unwound_tightly, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unwound_tightly

unwound_tightly Thread Starter

I cannot seem to figure it out. Ill begin by saying were mostly concerned with making this work on Windows XP professional.

The Problem: If a user of one of the public accessed computers plugs in a flash drive, wherein a driver does not already exist within windows slew of drivers or has been accessed before, the user is not allowed to add hardware. Within both windows and symantic corporate ive gone just short of administration rights for the user account. In a growing era of technology it seems to XP pro that the flash drive driver is allowing the user a privilege that they should not have. I tried Toolkit but like most programs it was about hindering more rather than hinder this allow that ect... I would edit the registry to allow this singular task but that is a bit out of my depth. The finding what i need to change part not the actual editing. Mind you, users can put a disk in get information off that ect.... the only thing im concerned about is my users being able to add flash drives and read information off of them and consequently to be able to install a driver to run the flash drive. Again these are public computers so you dont want to give em keys to the world either. The best solution will be the most minimalist solution.

any suggestions?

Tim

2. unwound_tightly

unwound_tightly Thread Starter

Been researching all day and here it is....

For anyone else here is the solution i used to allow users on XP pro to remain at thier current user setting yet allow them to install device drivers so they could use flash drives.

Start button>>>>Run>>>> Type: gpedit.msc

Menu breaks as follows:

Windows Settings>>>Local Policys>>>User Rights>>

Scroll down to: Load unload device drivers and right click
    Click properties.
    Apply the setting you want to the user group you want.

Eg: Power users can now load and unload device drivers.

Tim

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541704

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice