1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Public IP Private IP and port number for remote access

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bozee89, Dec 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bozee89

bozee89 Thread Starter

I would like to understand how public IP works in remote access. I do have belkin router and when I access it remote I type my public IP and after it the port number for example xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80 and if I would like to access an IP cam remotely in the same network i would do the same thing xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5656 (public IP). I do know my Public IP is unique.Thus, its quite logical I can access my devices remotely. my understanding of the port number is application specific that addresses packets in different applications in the same computer. For example port 80 is for HTTP connection used browsing the web, for chatting in MSN i will use different port number specifically for MSN...etc. my question is how I can access my belkin router remotely by typing the public IP and the port number knowing that the port number is application specific not device specific? My second question is, is it possible to access two routers in the same network remotely? Because I will be using the same IP address and the same port in the same network.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk 2

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    I'm not quite sure what your question is, so this may not answer it.

Household routers have a single IP address, all devices behind that router seem to use the same address. So for example if my brother and I use different computers to access a website, it will see us both as coming from the same address.
    The section after the colon specifies the port number. Because it only has one IP address but needs to identify several machines, the router will identify traffic as coming from a different port.
    The port number seen by a remote machine will often have nothing to do with the port number the device or application actually thinks it's using. The Router knows to pass on anything with port X to device Y, and keeps a record of which port it expects the traffic on.

3. bozee89

bozee89 Thread Starter

So this mean the router simply knows how to pass the port number the to remote machine? If so how dose it knows this? Are all the port stored in the routes and simply the router knows how to retrieve them and address them to the right machine?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

4. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
  5. bozee89

bozee89 Thread Starter

Thanks for answering my questions!

6. gurutech

gurutech

If you are looking to reach a specific computer on your network using a specific port number, you need to configure your router to forward the port to the computer.

For example, port 3389 is for RDP (Remote Desktop). It can be changed via the registry, but 3389 is the default. You need to go to the "port forwarding" section of your router, and tell it to "forward" port 3389 to your computer's "private" IP address (ie. 192.168.1.10).

Now, when you type your public IP, followed by :3389, or simply by using RDP application to your public IP address, you will be forwarded to your internal computer, where you can enter your regular username and password.

7. bozee89

bozee89 Thread Starter

If I am using an ip cam do I have to forward?

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    Usually, yes. The manufacturer of the camera should give you the information that you need.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice