1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Publish Excel/VB to Web

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by AMorrison0903, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AMorrison0903

AMorrison0903 Thread Starter

Hello Guys...

I have a program I made within Excel using some basic VB programming. I would like to use it as a webpage and some interactivity, but it doesnt seem to work...

Any ideas?

Thank you!

2. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hi there,

Can you explain what it is exactly you are trying to do, and exactly what it is that you have done? What is the entire scope of your project?

3. AMorrison0903

I have an excel program that I have programmed some VB into as well, so it has macros and formulas and vb functions.

When using the program within microsoft excel, it works great.

What I would like to do is be able to use this on the internet and run the excel program from the internet. I dont want people to be able to download it or view the code... just be able to use it from a web page.

4. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Ah, well that is pretty much out of the question. From the web, things are run on HTTP protocol, and VB/VBA is not recognized. To be able to run that you would need an application which recognizes and runs the code, which means you'd still need the application.

Some options would be to keep the file on a website and allow people to open, perhaps not save (which means nothing if somebody wants to store it locally on their own machine), or perhaps using collaborative software, i.e. jedox or Groove.

5. slurpee55

slurpee55

I would suggest that you look into Java or Javascript (depending on what you are doing with your VBA) for running it on the web. Both can be hidden (well, pretty much, but not if someone is skilled and determined enough) from view.

6. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Are you familiar with having Javascript run VBA procedures? Or are you meaning to re-write all of your procedures in JS?

7. slurpee55

slurpee55

Me? heck no - I am afraid I am suggesting a re-write. From what I know of both (and the little VB and VBA I know), I would think that you might be able to imitate some, probably most, of such functions.
    Given that AMorrison0903 says "some basic VB programming" (hopefully not a lot) and "I dont want people to be able to download it or view the code" - well, that basically rules out using Excel, really.
    VB/VBA also has problems with non-Windows OSes (???), so it is far from what you want on the web.

8. AMorrison0903

Alright thanks guys... I may just make the file a read only and protect it and then distribute it from the website to be able to download.

Thanks for the help.

9. slurpee55

slurpee55

As long as the people who will receive it have Excel - Open Office (and I think other) spreadsheet programs don't generally recognize VBA, and I don't think VB is either (it is a MS product....) - so if you have functions built in that you want everyone to use, you may have to reconsider how you have it done.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755418

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice