Publisher 98 error message

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

seattleman1

I have had Publisher 98 loaded on my computer for 6 months, but all of the sudden it won't open. I get this error message:

MSPUB caused an invalid page fault in module <unkown> at 0000:6000b000.
Register:
EZX=ooooobf4 CS=0167 EIP=6000b000 EFLGS=00210246
EBX=bff54efc SS=016f ESP=00b9dbd4 EBP=bff54fc5
ECX=cl5b46f0 DS=016f ESI=013e0f10 FS=2a4f
EDX=00017ce4 ES=016f EDI=00b9dc40 GS=0000
Bytes at CS: KIP:

That is all GREEK to me. My OS is Windows 98, AMD-K6 3D, 96MG Ram.

Please reply in as simple of terms as possible. I am somewhat computer illiterate, but learning
Thanks!!

MSPUB caused an invalid page fault in module at 0000:6000b000

can you look again, usually there's another word/phrase after 'module'

ie
Mspub.exe caused an invalid page fault in module kernel32.dll
-or-
Mspub.exe caused an invalid page fault in module unknown

...and yes, it's a little known fact that bill gates (billios gatechma) actually is greek (greek, not geek) - so the error messages take on a hellenic quality to them

seattleman1

You're right...there is another word. It is: unknown. I typed it in the original posting, but in the error message it has < > on either side of it....which apparently renders it invisible if typed in here.
Thanks!

ooops, the < > brackets are used in html code to enclose instructions (among other things) and the words etc inside don't show up as text.

the only reference i can find is to pub97 and it's a file that was replaced by a newer version, causing the publisher program to not work

full info is here: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q159/3/14.asp?LNG=ENG&SA=ALLKB
it's not as complicated as it looks to fix it - but it IS written in Bill Gate's Greek

Msvcrt40.dll is the culprit and it seems to be the source of problems in many programs
(if interested , use www.google.com, the best search engine around, and do a search for 'Msvcrt40.dll' - lots of references

you'll need your pub cd to do the fix

basically it says to find the file
rename it , then
put in the correct one

have you installed new software since publisher, that's probably what replaced the file pub is looking for

think of this as a learning experience :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online