1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Publisher telling me all my files are write protected

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by MMallow, Aug 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MMallow

MMallow Thread Starter

I open Publisher files (that I have created on my computer) and when I go to close the file, I get a message stating: 'The disk you are trying to save to is write-protected. Make the disk read/write or use a different disk.' Then it wants to save the file under a different (temp) name. Tells me to close Publisher and reopen and rename. I can't rename. I've tried opening various Publisher files and it's happening to all of them. I click on properties and it doesn't have a check mark by read only or hidden. I'm operating on Windows XP using Publisher 2003.

Thank you

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Are these files on the locale drive or are they on a network of a USB external drive?

3. MMallow

MMallow Thread Starter

These are on my local computer. Just some files I had created in Publisher. Saved them to my desktop. Have worked on them and saved the changes before. But now I've started getting error messages. The messages don't occur until I have made changes to these files, then try to save it with the changes. When I do that, the first error I get is telling me that 'due to low memory or use of a floppy other than the one you started with, Publisher has had to rename your publication C:/Documents and Settings/................ 4.tmp.' To resume, close all programs including Publisher; then restart publisher and open the file. You may then rename the publication. I can do that, but even after I rename the file and open it, I get the same message over and over. This has happened with any Publisher file I've opened and made changes to lately. I'm not very computer literate, so don't understand what is going on. I thought of saving the files to a disk and putting them on another computer in this office to see if it would work o.k. on it, but was afraid it would cause that computer to start having problems too. I'm needing to email some of the files to another business and don't know if they will be able to open it without problems. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

4. edhicks

edhicks

Just a quick thought. Try this out.
    Create a new file, save it to disk location (not to desktop)
    Do what you've been doing but avoid saving to desktop.
    Does error still occur?

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    How full is your hard drive?

6. MMallow

MMallow Thread Starter

Thank you for the posts and the ideas. I'm not sure how full the hard drive is. Wouldn't think it's very full, but I don't know a whole lot (I'm sure you've already noticed that). Anyway, will check that, DaveA, and will attempt to save to a different area as edhicks suggested. I'm out of town for a few days so can't try all that right now. But just wanted to let you know I really appreciate the help and will put the suggestions to use once I return to the office.

7. edhicks

edhicks

MMallow
    To see how full disk is.
    1. click start
    2. select My computer
    3 Right Click Disk C:\
    4 scroll down click properties
    Chart will appear showing details

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!