1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pulling data from laptop hard drive to new device?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stealthz, Jan 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stealthz

Stealthz Thread Starter

My windows was not booting up and I don't want to lose my data. Therefore, I ordered an USB 3.0 to 2.5 hard drive adapter.
    (https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-SATA-Drive-Adapter-Cable/dp/B00HJZJI84/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1546615419&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=startech+usb+3.0+to+2.5"+sata+iii+hard+drive+adapter+cable+with+uasp&psc=1)

I hook it up to the computer, and I am unable to access the hard drive. It recognizes the external device, and even pops up saying "Check LENOVO (E:) to see what happens with external devices. A "Local Disk (D:)" pops up as well, but I am unable to view it. After a while, my screen begins to shift like someone too my desktop and moved everything over an inch, or the start bar is no longer visible.

A Computer repair company that previously looked at it said when the hard drive is hooked up by the adapter, the computer is not recognizing any data on the hard drive. Therefore, they need to use a special "data recovery system" to get all the data off of it. They quoted me $209 for this, so I'm trying to do it myself, if possible.

How do I get my data?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    You have your answer and it seems to be confirmed because you are not seeing any data on the external drive either.

It is not possible to recover data if the computer it is hooked up to can't see it.

You have 3 options:
    1. Hook the drive up to a friend's computer and see if it is recognized.
    2. Pay the money (if there is a some sort of guarantee as to how much data can be recovered; don't pay if there is no guarantee that you will get anything back.
    3. Face the fact that the data is gone and promise yourself to store anything important off the computer.
    My husband and I store at least 2 copies of docs, pictures, videos, databases on 2 devices off the computer hard drive. It can be USB sticks, portable hard drives, sd cards and micro sd cards. All trip pictures are burned to a data CD as soon as we return from a trip.

3. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

What type of computer do you have? What are the system specifications (use http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe, and post the results)? I am a little confused by where your data is. It seems you're trying to recover the data on the internal hard drive, correct? But you purchased a cable to connect your computer to an external hard drive. Are you trying to recover data from the external hard drive, or transfer the data from your internal hard drive to the external one? If you're trying to recover data from your internal hard drive, how are you booting up? Have you tried using a recovery cd for your operating system to boot up? Once booted you should be able to see your hard drive. You could then back up your data to an external hard drive.

Is D: the hard drive you're data is on?

4. Stealthz

Stealthz Thread Starter

The hard drive is from my Lenovo G505s. The computer I hooked he hard drive up to was a work computer, which I’m not sure of the specs. I’m going to try t again, on my wife’s laptop and see if I get a different result. The recovery didn’t work. I tried that before I ever removed the hard drive.

Is there such thing as a “data recovery system?” And is there no way to attempt to recover the data on my own, before taking it back to the shop to do it?

5. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

Yes, there are ways to attempt recovery of your data. I recently successfully recovered my data from a corrupted hard drive using data recovery software, but this was on a PC which had a second hard drive. I was able to install the data recovery software onto, and boot from, the second hard drive, and could see the corrupted hard drive both in Disk Management and in a Windows Explorer. Do you know why your laptop was unable to boot? Was the problem with the laptop or did the hard drive fail? If the problem was with the laptop, your hard drive should be fine. If hard drive failure was the cause of the computer being unable to boot, then that makes the problem harder. Which version of Windows is on your laptop? I assume the work computer was also running Windows? If you are able to see your hard drive from your wife's laptop, that will make the recovery process much easier. Let us know how you progress with this.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  6. Stealthz

Stealthz Thread Starter

So I tried hooking it up to a different laptop, and the same thing occurs. Both these pop up: Local disk (D:) and Lenovo (E:). The Lenovo Drive shows 22.X GB free of 24 GB, while the Local Disk (D:) does not show anything.

The hard drive came from a Lenovo laptop, which was running Windows 8. I have no idea why it was unable to boot. It was working fine one day, then the next day it simply wouldn’t boot. It was about 4 years old.

Is there any special software I can download on my current laptop to make me able to recover this data? Anything else i could try?

7. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

I take it that it's the D: drive that has your data on it. Let's assume that your SATA-USB adapter cable is working ok, but you might want to test it on another good hard drive if you have one available, just to make sure you can see the data on it.

You can try software data recovery to retrieve your data. I used the commercial software, EaseUS Data Recovery for Windows which worked well and offers technical support. But I learned about Recuva on this forum (only after I had already purchased EaseUS), which is free and is apparently well thought of. You would download the software to your functioning laptop (or to a desktop that you would connect your hard drive to), and direct the software to recover the data from your drive to the laptop hard drive. Just make sure you have enough storage on the laptop hard drive to hold the amount of data you expect to recover.

Depending on how much data you have to recover, and I'm assuming that both Recuva and EaseUS would behave similarly, the initial scan to map out the data on your target drive could take a few hours. Once that is completed, there is a more thorough scan to recover the files, and that could take overnight. I had about 150 Gb of data to recover which I did over 3 sessions and roughly 10 hours of transfer time.

If I were doing this again, I would give the Recuva software a try. But I used the EaseUS and was very happy with it and to have some technical assistance, since I hadn't done data recovery from a corrupted hard drive before. Don't be fooled by the "free" advertising with EaseUS. You can download the software and do the initial scan to be sure that the software can identify your files. But to recover the data you have to purchase it. For the $75 fee, I was very happy with the product. Good luck and let us know how you progress. Here are the links to the software.

https://recuva.en.softonic.com/
    https://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/free-data-recovery-software.htm

8. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

By the way, when you say you can't see any files/folders on your hard drive, is that in Windows Explorer or in Disk Management? What does Disk Management show when you look at the drive?

9. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

You might be better off recovering your files to an external hard drive, rather than an internal hard drive. You would then copy the recovered files back to your laptop hard drive (or a new one if your current one has failed). This way you will have a backup system in place.

10. Stealthz

Stealthz Thread Starter

I just tried Easeus software, but it just says "The disk information is being refreshed. Please wait a moment." and has been stuck there for quite some time.

When I said I cant see the files/folder on the hard drive, I was looking at it through windows explorer. When I try to access "Local disk (D:)" windows explorer stops responding.

Is there any chance these files would be accessable through OneDrive? I remember a OneDrive folder on my old hard drive, where many of my documents/photos were, but I never did any configuring or enabling of it.

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You said this drive came from a work computer? The common reason for not seeing data falling short of a failed drive is that the drive itself is encrypted, which means you can't see anything until you unlock the drive.

Do this and see if it does have encryption:

With the drive connected, go into Command Prompt or PowerShell with admin mode, type manage-bde -status and see if that shows any details.

upload_2019-1-7_11-33-7.png

As to onedrive, as long as you were saving to the onedrive folder then you should be able to log into the website for it. Is OneDrive a personal account or a work account?

12. Stealthz

Stealthz Thread Starter

Update: Easeus found the hard drive and recognizes that there is 600+ gb of data on there. However, when I try to access it through easeus, it searches and searches, even says something about some data being bad and it jumping around to find data, but never finds anything. It's been running over 30 minutes now.

The one drive was on my laptop, the one the hard drive i'm trying to recover data from. I tried going to the ONeDrive website through my microsoft account, but there are no files there.

When I put in manage-bde -status, this is what I get:

"AN Attempt to access required resource was denied. Make sure you have administrator rights."

I am the administrator account. I'm the only account on this device.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  13. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

It sounds like you're on the initial scan stage, correct? That can take some time, so just be patient. Let the software do its work. After the scan is finished, it should tell you what to do next. If you have any problems, just go to their website and initiate a chat. They are quite helpful, especially when you purchase the license. They have a technical support number also. The only issue is that their hours are not always the same as ours, since they are a Chinese based company, but I had no trouble reaching them. Keep us posted.

Regarding Onedrive, I haven't had any experience with it, but why don't you give them a call with any questions?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  14. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You need to run Command Prompt in Administrator Mode. That is not done by default even if you are the administrator of the computer.

Assuming windows 10, in the search bar start typing Command Prompt. When you see it in the menu, right click on it and choose Run as Administrator.

If that doesn't show Command Prompt: Administrator Mode in the title bar, then right click on Start Menu and choose PowerShell (Admin Mode)

15. Stealthz

Stealthz Thread Starter

I I ran a Easeus scan all night, while I slept, as the Easeus chat rep said it could take 7 hours to fully scan a hard drive. When I woke up, it had finished scanning, and showed it sees 684 GB of data on the hard drive, but when I open the hard drive, no data is shown, and it says 0 files.

Does this indicate that the hard drive is physically damaged, and cannot be recovered?

I put in the manage-bde -status command in admin mode, but it did not show anything. Does it take a long time to show whether it's encrypted or not?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221402

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice