1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pulling files off a crashed Acer Aspire

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by larryBC, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. larryBC

larryBC Thread Starter

Hi, first post and a newbie so thanks for being here. Normally I use an Acer Aspire 5742 laptop running Windows 7 but the screen is dead with no cursor and no signs of a boot-up, although the computer is running when switched on. I have resurrected my Dell Inspiron 530, also running Windows 7, to do a rescue mission. I have connected an ethernet cable to desktop to see if I can get some un-backed-up documents off the laptop. Because I cannot see what's going on with the laptop I cannot map it to the desktop so therefore nothing is happening. How can I see my laptop files on my desktop? Thanks, Lawrence

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Your post is a bit of a contradiction. There's no sign of it booting but you know it's running? How?

You're not going to be able to configure any kind of file sharing or network connection if you can't see anything on the screen and certainly not if the computer isn't even booting up.

You need to take the hard drive out and connect it with an enclosure or adapter to the USB port on the other computer.

3. larryBC

larryBC Thread Starter

Thanks for that, I know the computer is booting up because of the noise. I know when the password screen is up and when this is entered the computer noise continues until I imagine the desktop is complete and the noise levels off. Aslo, all the lights are on, except on the screen of course. Thnks L

4. touchtoplay

touchtoplay

Assuming the screen is dead and not the GPU, try hooking it up via HDMI or VGA to an external display unit to see if it doesn't produce an image.

5. ETech7

ETech7

You can use PsExec to login remotely if you have UAC disabled on the laptop.

6. larryBC

larryBC Thread Starter

Temporarily sorted and thanks touchtoplay, hadn't thought of that. It's not ideal but means I can get this stuff off before I fix it. Lawrence

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1068546

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice