1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pulling my hair out trying to put xp and vista on the same network.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Techfizzle, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Techfizzle

Techfizzle Thread Starter

I have a xp pro pc in one room, custom built in my room, and a acer desktop running vista home premium in the living room belonging to my mom. I am having a nightmare trying to set up both pcs on the same network. What I wanted to do is allow her to print on my laser printer over the network. So I enabled the printer sharing option on my pc. The laser is a new brother, and is vista compatible.

When I went into computer and device list on her computer, my pc was showing up. I tried to connect to it, and it said "cannot logon, user restriction". I did some looking and I read both computers need to have the same workgroup name, which was diffrent since vista set the default to a new name. So I set both pcs to workgroup;"workgroup" and restarted, after the reboot, it all went downhil from there. My pc is showing up in the network map on her pc, but not on the computer and device list. I can also ping my computer from her pc, but cannot ping her pc from my computer. I turned off both windows firewall and the avast! antivirus firewall, and tried to ping her pc again, this time, it seems like one or 2 packets get through, but the others time out.

I am good with computers, but networking is not my expertise.

Please help.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977417

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice