1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pulling my hair out.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Robert the Bruce, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Robert the Bruce

Robert the Bruce Banned Thread Starter

Please bear with me on this, I hope it's not too long winded. I have owned a computer for less than a year and use a Buffalo G54 Wireless Router. I use this to negate the need for cables running from one room (where the router is) through another and into the room where the computer is. But I have had nothing but bother with this item from day one. Anytime I switch on my PC there is a 50/50 chance whether the router will work or not. Whenever the wireless icon (bottom right of taskbar) says 'Status - not connected' I go to 'Buffalo Client Manager 2', click on 'profiles' then click on 'connect', sometimes this fixes the problem of Net access sometimes it doesn't. Another method is to click on 'profiles' then click on 'AOSS' then run through the house to the router and press on the router's AOSS button, sometimes this works sometimes it doesn't. Very rarely I'am on the Internet for longer than a couple of hours before the connection is lost. Sometimes the icon says 'Status - Connected' but I still can't get net access, this leads me to phone my ISP to see if there is something wrong with the Modem (which sits just below the router) there usually isn't. Sometimes rebooting the system works sometimes it doesn't. Eventually I was advised to uninstall Buffalo Client Manager and allow Windows to configure and run the router (that was AFTER pressing the Init/Reset button on the bottom of the router for 15 seconds to go back to factory settings). This method was fine for a couple of days but now what I'm getting is ' No wireless network in range'. Now it's back to 50/50. So what I'm asking is, can the router be having problems picking up the signal from the Modem ? Or is the router having problems sending the signal to the PC. Either way is there anything I can do to finally rid myself of this problem. Sorry if my computer jargon leaves a lot to be desired, I'm just not too up on that. BTW my router sits on top of my TV and my Modem sits under the TV on top of my DVD player. Could where they are situated be causing a problem ? I hope not coz there is nowhere else I can put them.

2. johnpost

johnpost

hair is a greatly over rated item.

the tv is almost absolutely going to cause you problems
    so close to your router. move the router away from
    any tv or radio or other wireless device for certain.

put router and modem not near other electronic
    devices, a foot or two away is good, any amount
    is better then sitting on top of other things.

see if improves things.

wireless can be affected by electronic devices
    nearby. where and how strong the signal
    can be affected by distance and objects
    in between.

placement of modem is determined by
    phone jack and length of cord. router
    placement by length of cable to modem.
    you can move these with what freedom
    you have to find best position for router
    which either gives you most coverage
    or best coverage for where you usually
    use your laptop.

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    could be a number of problems -
    Do you have a cordless phone
    do you have secruity enabled on the router
    is the router at the latest firmware update

it could be a dns error -

sorry for all the techie stuff

download and install this software
    Free software to check signal strength of wireless is netstumbler 0.4.0 available for download from http://www.stumbler.net/

it monitors the wireless signal

try moving the PC near to the router and see if it losses connection

Next I'm afraid its doing some tests before you lose the connection and repeating after

heres the list

post an ipconfig /all here and do the ping test {just post back if you dont understand anything and we can take it a bit at a time)

ipconfig /all

TWO Methods to do that - some people have problems with ONE----

ONE ---------------------------------
    start
    run
    cmd
    ipconfig /all

rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

TWO -----------------------------------------------

Start, Run, CMD to open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

NEXT lets see if you can get out onto the internet with both names and IP's - its possible the IP number you get back on the first test is different to the one I post {I'm in UK} so use the number you get instead of mine

------------------------------------------------
    try ping the name and then the IP see below

start
    run
    cmd

C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping {the default gateway ipaddress you got above }

C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping google.com
    C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping 64.233.187.99

4. Robert the Bruce

That's just the problem. I can't move the Modem because there is only about a foot of cable coming from the wall to the back of the Modem so the Modem HAS to sit where it is. The Ethernet Cable for the router is only so long so sitting that on top of the TV is my only option. Looks like I'm goosed then ? Part of the problem (I was told) was that when Buffalo Client Manager 'ran' the router it was encrypted. Can you tell me the purpose of that. Now after uninstalling Client Manager the encryption is gone but what does this mean in terms of Internet Security. I'm now told by Windows that anything I 'send' can be viewed by others. Is this why the router was encrypted ? To avoid that ?

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    the encryption is between the router and PC/Laptops via wireless - to stop anyone else using the wireless signal

6. Robert the Bruce

Thanks for the info. But I don't have a laptop. Router and Modem in living room - PC in bedroom - hall in between.

7. Robert the Bruce

Thanks. Now that there is no encryption can anyone use my wireless signal ? Could you possibly answer my previous thread about 'viewed by others' e.g. e-mail, credit card details or even forum questions ?

8. johnpost

johnpost

the phone cord from wall to modem can be most any
    length (I would keep it 25 feet or less), cable connecting
    modem to router could easily be 6 or 9 feet.

phone cord is least expensive. get a longer phone cord
    so you can move the router and modem farther away
    from the tv.

9. Robert the Bruce

Sorry about this but my Modem is connected to the wall by a very thick length of cable (NOT phone cord) and simply cannot be moved. An Ethernet cable runs from the Modem to the router.

10. johnpost

johnpost

see about a longer ethernet cable. they can be had for not
    too much at 6 or 9 feet.

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

12. Robert the Bruce

Thanks I'll do that.

13. Robert the Bruce

We don't deal in dollars in Scotland, we deal in dead Englishmen. Just a wee joke, honest.

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's 14.5 dead Englishmen for that cable. :p

15. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Thats Cheap Johnwill :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536069

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice