1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Punctuation in Google search queries

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Odin13, Oct 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Odin13

Odin13 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Don inuo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 4086 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 384 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 74 GB (3 GB Free); E: 931 GB (930 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0KU184
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

My research discloses that punctuation in Google search queries will "usually" be ignored. Yet I often find that when I omit punctuation Google will demand to know whether I really meant the version with the punctuation. Is it possible for me to learn when and when not punctuation in such queries in necessary?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You could learn by experience with Google searching.

A tip is if you surround the search term with double quotes like this " it will search for everything inside the quotes.

3. Odin13

Odin13 Thread Starter

Perhaps I should have explicitly excluded from my question the double quotes, which of course are a Google search operator. The punctuation my question concerns is such as apostrophes. I'm afraid Allan's reply is worthless. Having extensively used Google search since it originated, I have as much "experience" as I could have.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Worthless to you perhaps but someone else reading this thread may not know about the double-quotes.

I am obviously not experienced enough to help you so I'm out. I suggest you search on Google for an answer.

5. Odin13

Odin13 Thread Starter

As my original question indicated, Google does not provide that answer--or, if it does, the answer is inaccessible to me [or else I would not have posted here]. Any real help here, from someone who would actually read the question, would be welcomed.

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    It appears that for your question to get a answer for you will need to come from the Google Team.

Yes I have read you OP several times.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  8. Volstein

Volstein

As for me I don't think that punctuation during a Google search is necessary on the whole.
    I think I never do that and always find what I need.

9. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I seldom use punctuation.
    Quotation marks mostly when I look for a specific group of words or a sentence.

That said, knowing the link Triple 6 posted could come in handy.
    (y)
    Thanks.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217536

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice