1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Punkbuster help is here!!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by BlooChoo, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BlooChoo

BlooChoo Thread Starter

youve tried everything from adding the pnkbstr.exes to the firewall (both A and B), youve uninstalled and reinstalled, cleaned the registrya nd are now running the game as admin and in compatability mode through XP....but you still get kicked from games such as bf2, bf2142 and enemy territory quake wars....

but never fear...here is a fix that has to work!!!!!

1. Make sure that you either disable your firewall (probably not a good idea) or allow PnkBstrA.exe and PnkBstrB.exe access to do things (McAfee has been known to automatically add these services to the block list).
    2. Download pbsvc.exe, which is a utility to uninstall and reinstall PunkBuster.
    3. Open pbsvc.exe and select Un-Install/Remove PunkBuster Service.
    4. Open pbsvc.exe again and this time select Install/Re-Install PunkBuster Service.
    5. After installing, it will test your services. Make sure you get a "Test completed successfully without error." message. If not, then copy and paste the results of the test here.
    6. Now download PBSETUP, which is a utility to update PunkBuster to the latest version. For Windows: pbsetup.exe
    7. Open pbsetup.exe. It will probably have to check for updates, allow it to do that.
    8. Click the "Add a Game" button at the top.
    9. Select your game (in this case Battlefield 2142) and make sure that the directory is correct.
    10. Click the "Check for Updates" button at the top

It even works in Vista!!!!

2. Earth19

Earth19

it failed the test and i dont know how to fix it help plz

3. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

This topic shall be post into the sticky.:D

4. BlooChoo

BlooChoo Thread Starter

cool:) cheers..and yeh if the pbsvc.exe shows errors or fails while installing either punkbuster A or B...copy and paste the log and post it on the forum..ill take a look at it.

5. BlooChoo

BlooChoo Thread Starter

gennerally if it fails its somthing up with the firewall (mainly Mcafee) reset the defaults, uninstall the game, run pbsvc.exe (Uninstalled, reinstalled & tested as above, during which, allow the firewall to grant PnkBstrA & PnkBstrB) and this shud fix it

6. charlou61

charlou61

I was getting kicked everytime on cod 2 and bf2... So, i decided to shearch on google and i ound your post. I ran pbsmv.exe many time but i did not worked. I decided to choose the uninstal option one more time and to delete all punkbuster i could find on my computer. But now, i cant even reinstall punkbuster by using pbsvc.exe . Here's log it gives me....

I tried many things, deactivating my anti-virus (and his firewall) and the windows firewall.
    But i still unable to intall pkbstr.

Installed at "C:\WINDOWS\System32\PnkBstrA.exe"
    Checking PunkBuster service status STOPPED
    Starting PunkBuster service OK
    Adding firewall rule for PnkBstrA ERROR
    Installation Finished.

Please click "Next" to test the PunkBuster services.Starting PunkBuster Service Tests (v0.986) (10/20/07 19:11:32)
    Checking OS
    Windows XP (build 2600) 32-bit
    Checking PnkBstrA service status RUNNING
    Checking PnkBstrA Version OK (1029)
    Extracting "PnkBstrB.exe" to:
    "C:\Documents and Settings\CL\Application Data\PnkBstrB.exe"
    OK
    Checking firewall settings ERROR
    Checking if PnkBstrB is running NOT RUNNING
    Getting port for PnkBstrA OK (44301)
    Opening socket for packet send OK
    Sending version packet to PnkBstrA SENT
    Receiving version from PnkBstrA OK
    Received 6 bytes from 127.0.0.1:44301
    Response = 7080 (ms) Version = v1029
    Getting PnkBstrB install instance NOT FOUND
    Sending start packet to PnkBstrA SENT
    Waiting for packet from PnkBstrA OK
    Received 3 bytes from 127.0.0.1:44301
    Response = 11086 (ms) PnkBstrB DID NOT start.
    Load FAILED.
    PnkBstrA.log: [10.20.2007 19:11:15] PnkBstrA v1029 Service Started Successfully. This service is a component of the PunkBuster Anti-Cheat system. Visit http://www.evenbalance.com for more information.

[10.20.2007 19:11:41] ERROR: Copy from [C:\Documents and Settings\CL\Application Data\PnkBstrB.exe] to [C:\WINDOWS\System32\PnkBstrB.exe] failed; Load denied. (997)

Watching for PnkBstrB instance change (0) TIMEOUT
    Getting port for PnkBstrB FAILED
    Sending version packet to PnkBstrB SENT
    Receiving version from PnkBstrB TIMEOUT
    Checking PnkBstrK driver status NOT FOUND
    Extracting new PnkBstrK to:
    "C:\Documents and Settings\CL\Application Data\PnkBstrK.sys"
    OK
    Sending load packet to PnkBstrB SENT
    Checking PnkBstrK driver status NOT FOUND
    Manually stopping PnkBstrB FAILED - no handle
    Removing test PnkBstrB file OK
    PnkBstrA.log: [10.20.2007 19:11:15] PnkBstrA v1029 Service Started Successfully. This service is a component of the PunkBuster Anti-Cheat system. Visit http://www.evenbalance.com for more information.

[10.20.2007 19:11:41] ERROR: Copy from [C:\Documents and Settings\CL\Application Data\PnkBstrB.exe] to [C:\WINDOWS\System32\PnkBstrB.exe] failed; Load denied. (997)

PnkBstrB.log: [EMPTY]

----------------------------------
    Tests finished.

7. BlooChoo

BlooChoo Thread Starter

try this... reset the defaults on your Firewall , uninstal COD 2, run pbsvc.exe (Uninstalled, reinstalled & tested (during which allow your firewall to grant PnkBstrA & PnkBstrB)

then let me know

8. BlooChoo

BlooChoo Thread Starter

Also from time to time PB will crash or fail to initialize correctly. You can tell by going to control panel>admin tools>services scroll down to punkbuster and make sure both A and B are running. If one is not either start or resart it

9. BlooChoo

BlooChoo Thread Starter

there are loads of other problems with Punkbuster, just PM me if u want sum help

10. mls_222

mls_222

thanks man that realy helps =]

11. BlooChoo

BlooChoo Thread Starter

glad to help:)

12. gothicalien

gothicalien

Well i keep getting punkbuster for battlefield 2142 ... but i looked in control panel>admin tools>services could not find PnkBstrB but PnkBstrA is running fine

13. gothicalien

gothicalien

well i whent to System32 to see if theres both PnkBstrA & PnkBstrB and they wher there then i when to battlefield 2142 folder looked in pd and it only had PnkBstrB not PnkBstrA so i copyed A from system32 to the folder and copyed B from the battlefield 2142 folder to system32 after that i tride to test it to see if it work with pbsvc and it worked try this if nothing els helped from BlooChoo and it looksike i still have problems with Pnkbstrb still shaken in hame it said WTF help me out BlooChoo??

14. BlooChoo

BlooChoo Thread Starter

:) did u try all those steps up at the top?? by running pbsvc.exe...it uninstalls an reinstalls both punkbusters..they will also then run...if you have installed them an they are not runnning...go into control panel > administrative tools > services

then make sure both punkbuster services are set to automatic and are started..
    then try that

15. Mrazntear

Mrazntear

I still get the error even though i have Punkbuster A and B working fine. they both say Punbuster A Started
    Punkbuster B Started HELP

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/635991