1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Puppy Linux "pup_420.sfs not found"

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by greenp0is0n, Jul 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greenp0is0n

greenp0is0n Thread Starter

I have a hp pavilion dv6000 laptop and i am trying to install linux through unetbootin but when i get to puppy linux load screen it says "pup_420.sfs not found" and loads ramdisk or something i really need help my laptop is very old and i am trying to give it live again thanks

2. tecknurd

tecknurd

The program UNetbootin is not a Linux installer. It helps to make a bootable USB flash stick for Linux instead of the normal CD or DVD disc. Make a CD or DVD disc and boot. Booting from the CD or DVD will be the easiest. You can use ImgBurn, InfraRecorder, or CDBurnerXP to make a CD or DVD from an ISO in Windows.

The sfs file that it cannot find is a squash file system that probably contains Puppy Linux install. The error can happen if the ISO is corrupted or the scripts that UNetbootin read didn't parse/read correctly. There is a possibility that UNetbootin is not compatible with the version of Puppy Linux that are using. The worst case scenario is your notebook computer doesn't have full boot capabilities for USB storage. Unfortunately, on notebook computers varies dramatically to boot into Linux.

I know it doesn't help to use a different tool if you want to learn how to fix the issue that UNetbootin has given you. I have used the following with no problems on desktop computers.

https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212940

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice