1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Purchased domain name from Google

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by spaceballs, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spaceballs

spaceballs Thread Starter

Hello,

We are trying to set up a website for a future business. We believe we purchased the domain name through Google, however, our credit card has not been charged.

How do I verify that I do own the domain name? And do I need to register the domain name?

Also, Google offers as part of the purchase, website hosting and setup, but it seems awkward and cumbersome. What is the best way for an amature to set up a professional looking website?

How do we move our domain name away from Google?

Thanks,

2. Sequal7

Sequal7

Generally, if you were not charged then it's not registered, but you can do a whois of the domain and see if it's registered and who to.

If the name was not registered why would you go through google? I would use netfirms.com or a domain registrar like them to register the domain.

Either method, you can buy a hosting package from another host (which I highly recommend doing) since they are different services and set up the name servers at Google using their domain management panel to point to your host.

3. spaceballs

Thanks for the quick reply,

Here is the info from whois.net:

WHOIS information for: ***********.com:

[whois.name.com]
    128.121.95.55 has reached its 24 hour query limit.

Verio Inc. - Growing Your Business, One Click At A Time

What does that mean? I need everything dumbed down.

When looking up the info on netfirms.com I get this:

1. Domain Name Lookup

*************.com
    Domain name already taken. WHOIS Lookup

We purchased through google, because we recognized the name. We have no idea what we are doing as you can see.

4. spaceballs

Ok. I was able to find out that the domain names are registered to me.

Thank you for your help.

I was looking at hostgator.com as a hosting site. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with them?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!