1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Purchasing a DVD Burner

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by raybro, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

I'm considering buying a DVD burner to replace my old DVD player drive in my Desktop, which I almost never used except as a CD reader. I have separate CD burner unit. I've looked on newegg and am considering the 2 units in the links below. Any recommendations and/or comments much appreciated. Primary use will be data backup. I do not anticipate using it for movies and such, but one never knows what tomorrow may bring.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16827135084

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16827198003

A couple of questions about DVD burners... Can someone tell me (or provide a link where I can read about) the meaning of the + and - symbols in the various acronyms (DVD+R, DVD-R, etc.) in the unit descriptions. I'm not real up to speed on DVD burners, so I'd appreciate input on this subject and DVD burners in general.

My primary motivation in this is to get a little more efficient in recording Acronis True Image .tib files to external media. I've done it with my old CD burner and it takes forever and way to many CD's to be a reasonable process.

OS is XP Home in a Gateway P4, 256MB RAM and 80GB HDD. I've noticed when looking at system info, my reserve RAM is down to about 60MB when system is idle. The system seems to be running quite good at this level. Max RAM allowed is >2GB (2, 1024 sticks). Would increasing RAM be of any help in transfer of data while burning CD's or DVD's? If so, how much is recommended. RAM type is PC2100 (133MHz). There are 2 slots.

TIA... Raybro

2. replay

replay

3. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Thanks replay... Took a quick look at the link you provided and it looks like just what I was wanting. Got to go to the Doctor right now, but will look at it more thoroughly later today. I'll also check out Lite On units.

Raybro

4. pugmug

pugmug Banned

I use both Asus and Lite-ON and both are fine as long as you use a good media as that is what counts. Verbatim disk work very well with all the different drives I have put them in.

5. onsite

onsite

Buying a DVD burner is like buying nothing else, there is a lot of junk out there and it seems that the only good burners are the pioneer chip set ones. I am unfamiliar with the 2 that you had links to. Newegg is a great place to buy from, this is just me I would stay away from those 2. I would suggest LaCie, NEC, Plextor, LG, Pioneer, and BENQ ( as long as it is not tthe model DQ60, I heard it was a rebranded Mitsumi.

6. Mulderator

Mulderator

7. onsite

onsite

Yes, yes, I have one, if you click the link in my sig ( haven't figured out why the pic will not show) it is in one of those PC's. Will work with ANY media , even crappy media. Will burn DOUBLE LAYER all day long, supports switching book mode. It is 3550A , I just realized i do not see a model number. Not finiky, very robust drive, and only $30. That is a 1/3 of what you would pay for some peice of junk from Compusa , Micro center, stapples,
    etc, that never work right

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483953

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice