1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Purchasing a Laptop: What do you think?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vroom, Jun 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vroom

Vroom Thread Starter

I'm in the market for a laptop. I've settled on one that looks good, but I'd like to get a second opinion. I'd most likely use the computer for word processing, running iTunes, and light-to-moderate gaming. I'd also like to not spend more that $575 on it (yeah I'm a cheapskate, I know :D ). Anyway, here we go:

Compaq V5000Z Series Notebook PC

Processor: AMD Sempron(TM) 3300+ (2.0GHz/128KB L2 Cache)
    Display: 15.4" WXGA Widescreen (1280x800)
    Memory: 256MB DDR SDRAM (1x256MB)
    Graphics Card: 128MB ATI RADEON(R) XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory(TM)
    Hard Drive: 40 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive
    Primary CD/DVD Drive: DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive (Q: Does this write DVDs and CDs, or just CDs?)
    Networking: Integrated 56K Modem + 10/100 Ethernet LAN
    Primary Battery: 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    Productivity Software: Microsoft(R) Works/Money

Final Price: $489.99 (after rebates and savings ;) )
    So, any thoughts?

-Vroom

2. acameron

acameron

I would up the Ram to 512MB, 256 will work but you will get a big performance boost from 512.....especially since the graphics card will be using some of the system memory for itself.....

as for gaming....don't plan on too much with a laptop...that graphics chipset won't play much.........

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Lookis like a really good buy but I would do as acameron suggests and even up the ram to 1 gig as laptops really seem to drag especially with a Sempron cpu. I would bet you could game better with an Athlon though as he is right Sempron cache will limit game performance especially in a laptop where graphics are limited.

4. Vroom

Vroom Thread Starter

Hmm, thanks for the advice, I'll upgrade the ram, and I don't plan on doing too much gaming, mostly some older games (2-3 years old) that work better on XP (I run 98 right now)

-Vroom

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/476545

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice