1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Purchasing a Laptop???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kmcma2002, May 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kmcma2002

kmcma2002 Thread Starter

What is the most durable/best long lasting type of laptop that you can purchase? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks for your time.

2. amphibian

amphibian

I am partial to Toshiba's myself. Many of the remote users at work have toshiba's and they take them on construction sites all the time, so you know they can take a beating!
    And no this is not a plug for Toshiba, just my general experience with laptops is all. :)

3. kmcma2002

kmcma2002 Thread Starter

thank you I have heard that dell isn't the greatest and that macintosh is good but still wonder what type to buy.... thanks

4. Emtronics

Emtronics

Well MAC and PC formats are different. Like the old VHS and BETA tape recorders. No VHS will play on a BETA as with PC (Windows Based) and MAC. Their software is not compatable with each other. If you get a MAC, be sure you know what you are going to use it for as your software may be limited.

I'd buy a laptop based on what you want it to do and how upgradable it is. Things to consider.....RAM, Harddrive size, Video, sound, Ports, and Screen size. While screen size isn't all that important to me, some people want it as big as you can get it. :D

HP is nice as is Sony and Toshiba....Dell is ok also except I have had expereince with their tech support. (ordering parts) If you don't understand English with a heavy Hindu accent, then you'll be lost. My last contact with them was horrible. "Bill" couldn't speak English on a bet!" Ended up on E-Bay for my part. Bottom line? Find out what kind of support you're going to get and where it is from.

5. kmcma2002

kmcma2002 Thread Starter

thank you I have thought of that and of warranty options etc. the computer thing is just so mind boggling to me thank you for your advice.

6. jmikalinis

jmikalinis

what will you use the laptop for? internet? gaming? multimedia?

7. Emtronics

Emtronics

To be fair, look at THIS and compare the two OS's. MAC OS X and WinXP. After all, you are going to get one or the other if you buy a laptop. Consider also, weight. My Dell weighs a ton after you haul it around all day. :D

8. kmcma2002

kmcma2002 Thread Starter

thank you anyone know of any good deals on laptop>>>>>>>>>>>>>

9. kmcma2002

kmcma2002 Thread Starter

also what are you thoughts on purchasing a used laptop>

10. Old Rich

Old Rich

I just bought an Averatec . . seems solid and is light (4.5 lbs)

It is not a gamer, but that is not what I wanted. I have previously had a Compaq and a Dell . . so far this one is my favorite.

See review here. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1579491,00.asp

11. kmcma2002

kmcma2002 Thread Starter

thanks I do not want a gamer, I want something long lasting and durable as I tend to be hard on anything that I spend $$$$$$$$$ on. thank you for your info.

12. kmcma2002

kmcma2002 Thread Starter

anyone know the best search engine to use when researching purchasing a laptop.

13. Emtronics

Emtronics

14. kmcma2002

kmcma2002 Thread Starter

thank you.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/228400

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice