1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Purchasing a laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by crsaj, May 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

I'm in the market for a new 15.6 laptop. I’ve been testing one of the new Acer models and it appears to be the best bang for the buck. It comes with a multitude of features including at least 4G Ram, 350G HD, Four (4) USB ports, HDMI, Modem, Card reader, Video, audio, microphone inputs, 8 X DVD, Web Cam, Windows 7, Intel Processor, etc, etc., for about $650 at Costco. The only downside I see is the terrible Acer support. Doesn't seem they have much interest in supporting their products. Their English is very difficult to understand and they are quick to hang up. Costco is the big plus. Two year warranty support and 90 days full refund if you are not satisfied. I'm not familiar with Acer at all and need some opinions. Does anyone have an opinion about Acer and please let me know what other brands you would recommend that can match up with these features and price?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    My experience of ACER in the UK is very good service - family have had one machine back for repair and the support was excellent.
    The english issue occurs with quite a few companies who offshore their support and depending on time of day, depends where you go - for example with HP printers recently, i have been to Africa.
    Sounds like a good spec - whats the CPU type ?
    2 year warranty is good to have to
    I cant comment on the price as I dont know the market - in the UK I keep an eye on laptops and pricing, as there is usually a friend or family looking for a deal and every now and again one appears
    If you have 32 bit windows 7, then it wont see all the 4GB of memory - and in my opinion, for normal use you don't need a lot of memory.

3. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

A few months ago, following advice received here at TSG, I bought a Toshiba laptop direct from Toshiba with specs similar to the Acer you are looking at. One rating group has Toshiba second only to Asus for dependability.

Go to the link below for the page re my laptop, which I went the "customize" route to gain a feature or two or delete same.

{redoak}

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cdetland.to?poid=467538

4. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. The Acer I'm looking at is running Windows 7 64 bit.

5. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

You are welcome. My T is running 64 bit, too.

{redoak}

6. MowermanEd

MowermanEd

My daughter just got an Acer 64bit W7 laptop a few months ago for school. So far not so much as a hiccup from it. Shes uses it quite a bit too.

7. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

Thanks.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/926234

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice