1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Purchasing a New System

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JuviAdament, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JuviAdament

JuviAdament Thread Starter

I am about to purchase yet another computer, and this time would like to find something affordable that can handle games like WOW(world of Warcraft) with ease. About a year and a half ago I bought my first laptop completely aware of the warning that every single tech guy has gave me of overheating, but I didn't listen. So I bought this Acer Aspire 5920 which has

- Intel Core 2 dou Processor t5450 (1.66 GHz FSB, 2 mb L2 Cache)
    - Up to 358mb Mobile Intel Graphic media Accelerator x3100
    - 3 GB of DDR2 Ram
    - 320 GB Harddrive

The Laptop when I purchased it was a big upgrade from the desktop that I had. Anyway over the last 4 weeks of playing the laptop before it died, I noticed that it was starting to get incredibly hot. I have a base fan and whenever I play world of warcraft I put it underneath the laptop to keep it cooler. But the base fan seemed to be making no difference at all the laptop just continued to heat up. Then World of warcraft began to freeze up, I knew it was the laptop because my latency/frame rates where fine, actually very low.

So anyway I shut the laptop one night when to bed woke up in the morning opened it tried to start it up then I got a blue/white Intel Core screen, that leaded up to windows start up window which then takes me to a black window with an under score bar showing up blinking. After about 5 seconds theres a message saying "A Disk Read Error Has occured"
    Hold CRTL+ALT+DLT to restart computer. (n)

After getting this message serveral times I looked up on a few tech solution sites the meaning of the message. It means that I have a fried harddrive, or need to restore computer from factory setting. I tried restoring, it just freezes up once I get to acer empowerment screen. Like a Noob I didn't make back up disks.:( My knowledge of computers is very minimal but I know enough to usually solve any problem I have had. I really enjoy expanding my knowledge of computers and working on them installing video cards/ram etc. Just to scared to mess around with something I know not enough about.

So eitherway with the laptop I have had people tell me that I will need to purchase a new harddrive but will still have the overheating problem. Which for me is no good because I play world of warcraft for long periods of time. So heres my main question. I am looking at purchasing a rather cheap desktop that I could game world of warcraft with, and use while going to college and taking web-design. My friends have suggested Purchasing a computer off of www.tigerdirect.ca I am looking at computers on the site finding stuff I really like under gaming desktops. I am pretty sure I would like to go down intel Core route again after having the bad expierence with AMD. Just trying to figure out what would be the best computer in the price range of $500-$999.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/870763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice