Purchasing a PDA

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

phild

I'm looking to buy a PDA and I'm overwhelmed with the range and underwhelmed with the degree of plain-English info available!

I want a PDA that will handle todo, calendars and the like.
I want one that will synchronise with Lotus Notes (and I understand I may have to get additional software like Intellisync to do this).
I want one that will have direct dial-up access (I can acccess a VPN to facilitate this if necessary) without needing to go through an additional phone or intermediary device. (I know a blackberry will do this, but am not clear whether a blackberry will also provide the calendar access)

I dont particularly care about MP3s, texting, telephoning or camera functions

Any advice would be most welcome!

DoubleHelix

Banned
All PDAs handle calendaring, contacts, and tasks/to-do lists.

I don't know of any that natively sync with Lotus Notes. Check the Intellisync software to see what they're hardware requirements are.

I'm not sure what you mean by "direct dial-up access". Do you want to connect a phone cord to the device and dial into a VPN system? No PDAs come with built-in dial-up modems. I'm not sure they're even made anymore.

If you're referring to cellular-type connections (you referenced the BlackBerry), then your options are very limited. There's the BlackBerry, Handspring Treo, and an HP PocketPC Phone Edition PDA. All of these require the purchase of a monthly data/voice contract.

phild

DoubleHelix said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "direct dial-up access". Do you want to connect a phone cord to the device and dial into a VPN system? No PDAs come with built-in dial-up modems. I'm not sure they're even made anymore.

If you're referring to cellular-type connections (you referenced the BlackBerry), then your options are very limited. There's the BlackBerry, Handspring Treo, and an HP PocketPC Phone Edition PDA. All of these require the purchase of a monthly data/voice contract.
If modems dont exist any more (ah, the memories of my chunky old Palm modem!) then, yes, it's cellular-type connection that I'm referring to. Many PDAs proudly claim Bluetooth and Wireless capability, but I want to be able to access email on the move wherever I am. I'll check those three out - thanks - but I'm surprised there arent more given the huge PDA market!

DoubleHelix

Banned
Many PDAs have wireless capabilities such as WiFi and Bluetooth, but those technologies don't allow you to connect to the internet anywhere at any time. WiFi is wireless networking. It works when you're near a hotspot. Bluetooth is generally used to connect two devices over a short distance.

Even with a Smartphone, you still have to be in the coverage area, just like you do to use a cell phone.

HP's smartphone only works with T-Mobile's network. If you're outside that coverage area, that device won't work for you. The other two devices offer a few more options.

If you do go with the Treo i'd suggest getting the Treo 600...many users in my company have the Treo 650 and there's been some platform issues...A couple users have the 600 and have had no issues what so ever....the new Blackberry 7100g is pretty slick too....and the OS seems alot more streamlined as well....if i had the cash i'd go with a Blackberry 7100g.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online