1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Purchasing desktop/laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kbtechhelp, Aug 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kbtechhelp

kbtechhelp Thread Starter

Hi there,

Apologies if posting in the wrong thread!

I have recently purchased a CEH course and it has supporting documents which talks about running labs. As I will be running a few VMs it has said there are some minimum spec requirements of the laptop/desktop.

Can someone help me on finding a laptop/desktop with the below specs? My budget is not huge and I was initially thinking if I buy a low level spec device and then upgrade individual modules to meet the min requirements. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    • Intel Core i5 3.2 GHz 64-bit CPU or better (multiple cores is preferred)
    • 16 GB RAM (32 GB or more is recommended)
    • 200 GB free disk space, 7200 RPM or faster drive (SSD is preferred)
    • DVD drive
    • 1 Ethernet network adapter
    • Sound card
    • Internet access
    • Wireless network adapter (built-in or USB)
    Thank you in advance.

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Since your budget is "not huge", would a good "refurb" suffice"?

3. kbtechhelp

Hi

Apologies I should have mentioned in the original post but yes, a refurb would suffice.

Thanks

4. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

5. kbtechhelp

That's brilliant thank you so much!

6. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

You're welcome. (y)

7. fork114

fork114

Are you dead set on Intel? Amd's ryzen series processors offer much better multitasking with a higher core/thread count for less money, especially if your aiming for a work oriented PC.

8. kbtechhelp

Hi @fork114

This was just what specs were on the document and not something I set - If that's the case I am happy to compromise.

Would you be able to find me something that matches?

Note - I am in the UK.

9. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
  10. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

No doubt it is a better setup ... for ~four times the amount of money.

11. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
    I doubt the 9 year-old computer for less than $200 will run multiple VMs well. It's likely the person who wrote those specs assumes people will buy current generation products.

12. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

<sheesh!> I was simply trying to do what the OP ask ... which was to meet their above "spec" requirements and stay within their "not huge" "budget".

If by "My budget is not huge" they meant $800+ then there is no doubt that an $800+ new i5 computer would be better than a 9 year old i5 refurb. <doh!>

13. fork114

fork114

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/C8BVtg, this would be a great work PC, and should suffice for what your aiming for you can of course add more storage if need be but for around 400$ you have current specs that multitask very well with 4 true cores and 8 threads. The above person who mentioned refurbs or older hardware, that is also a fine option, but you have limited upgrade paths, and will generate issues with drivers and compatibility the older the hardware is, however if your budget is less than 400$ and you decide on older hardware, Intel is the way to go.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231433

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice