1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

purchasing new external harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elisa001, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elisa001

elisa001 Thread Starter

Heya

I'm thinking about buying a new external harddrive, 1TB; so the question is, which ones are good, and which ones are really bad, or is there not much difference? I'm looking for something not too expensive, but not complete rubbish. It will be mainly used for media storage.

Thnx

:cool:

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    I make my own by getting an external Enclosure like one of These .. With a fan for good cooling ..
    Then installing a good HDD with a 5 year warranty.

You don't know what you're getting in the assembled versions ...
    And you can't get to the HDD if you need to work on it or physically move it to somewhere else.

I think there's something wrong with the pricing .. The last time I got 2 of These, they were under $100

3. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  4. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    TX .. Now I wish I'd got a couple more.
    I keep filling them up with Movies

5. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    I know what you mean, I wish I would have not listened to my other half and bought the one I wanted when it was on sale for $54.95.

6. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    One must obey she who must be obeyed .. It's in her rule book :D
    I hope the equipment is High and Dry and the only reason is the workers can't get there.

The Last time I got an assembled version .. It came with backup software that wrecked my Computer .. Never again

7. elisa001

elisa001 Thread Starter

Thnx!

I've seen one at amazon for 51 pounds, here . It's a Western Digital AV-GP 1TB 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive. Is that good enough, you think?

I'll have a look for the case and fan now; seems to get more expensive then the ready-made one though. How do I connect this drive to my laptop? Is there a usb connection? Or does that depend on the outer casing?

8. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    That model is discontinued at NewEgg .. I wonder why it takes 3 to 5 weeks to ship it ???
    The WD Green Series HDDs are good for long term use in an enclosure without cooling but only have a 3 year warranty.
    It Depends on the enclosure ... The enclosure must be for a SATA HDD and most of them connect via USB.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025421

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice