1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Purchasing New PC...help!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jimmymca, Dec 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimmymca

jimmymca Thread Starter

Hello all,

I am looking to buy a new PC in the new year and i am usure of what to get. I do a lot of online gaming and surfing and want a PC that is capable of nice crisp gameplay and performance.

I current have an AMD 1800+ Athlon XP CPU, 384 MB RAM, 20 Gig HDD, and 128 MB GeForce FX 5200.

I will keep my graphics card but want something a little quicker......any suggestions

P.S. And reasonably priced

Thanks

Jimmy

2. McTimson

McTimson

If you want good graphics, then I would suggest getting a new graphics card. Your CPU is fine, you may want to add another stick of memory, and maybe another hard drive. Your CPU is fine, the AthlonXP 1800 is still good for gaming, but if you needed to, you could get like a 2500+ or something. I wouldn't get a whole new computer, but just upgrade the parts you have.

3. plschwartz

plschwartz

There have been several articles examining the speed of the CPU on gaming. Here is one but I know there are others
    http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030120/vgacharts-02.html

Here Tom is comparing amd 2700 versus amd 1000 much more severe then a reasonable upgrade for you. As Mc Timson suggests upgrade your memory and if your HDD is not upgrade to a 7200rpm system

Your video card is also middling and that might give you a boost. Look at the reviews at tomshardware and also anatech for some upgrade tips. I would probably go with memory first then a faster HDD and wait for another model cycle or two for a new card.
    You might also look into overclocking your cpu if you want some extra free speed there

Sorry This is your first post welcome to TSG:p

4. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

What mobo do you have now? Depending on it, the best upgrade for now would be an ATI 9600 Pro video card and a bigger(faster, maybe) hard drive. You only need 128MB more of memory for a total of 512MB which is usually more than enough. The next jump in a cpu would be to an AMD 2500+ barton if your mobo will support it. You should probably use at least a 400/430w power supply when using the newer upgrades. You DO NOT want to overclock your cpu. Invest in a 2500+ instead. The stock heatsink and fan won't keep the oc'd cpu cool enough and could cause some bad problems.

5. jimmymca

jimmymca Thread Starter

thanks guys for all the advice, unfortunately my mobo is at capacity with the 1800 athlon will have to upgrade that as well. I am happy enough with my PC but need more power as Tim the Tool Man Tayler says

I am happy with the graphics card i have so i will leave that, I was looking in to the 3200 athlon though

6. bck9900

bck9900

As far as computing all I would do is get you a new mobo; harddrive; and a stick of ram your processorsstill pretty good....no need to buy a whole comp though!

7. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

If you were, you really might want to read this...
    http://www.amdzone.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1371

Ther aint much difference in way of performance between a 3000+ and a 3200+ at all, in fact in a lot of benchmarks the 3000+ will tie or even beat the 3200+ for a couple hundred less!

8. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

"thanks guys for all the advice, unfortunately my mobo is at capacity with the 1800 athlon will have to upgrade that as well."

Asus mobo, AMD 2500+ Barton or 2800+ Barton cpu, 512MB Dual Channel memory, ATA133 8MB cache hard drive, Ati(Sapphire) 9600Pro/128MB, new case with 430w or bigger power supply. Use your burner/cd-rom, floppy modem, etc. from your current system unless you want to keep it as a server or whatever.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/187286

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice