Purchasing Windows XP Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

charliehowar

I have been given an iPod as a gift but it is not compatiable with my computer because it uses Windows ME and XP or 2000 is required.

I therefore want to upgrade to Windows XP. I could buy an XP Home Upgrade for previous versions of Windows for £75. However, I have also found Windows XP Home OEM for £60. Buying the OEM version seems the clear choice, but I am concerned that it may not have proper support and the manuals I would need. I have a reasonable knowledge of OS's, but my understanding is that OEM products are primarily designed for advanced users and not users with average knowledge like myself.

Which version should I get?

Go the extra £15 Charlie - you get a proper Product Key with the chance to register and not have to worry about all the other issues.

There is no difference between OEM and other versions as far as the installation or the installed product. With OEM you do NOT get manuals or Micorsoft support. If those are important to you, buy the upgrade version. You can perform a clean install with a upgrade version.

This is a good guide to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print it for eeference during the install.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

Hope this helps . . wrs

charliehowar

Thanks for the advice. It seems worthwhile to get the upgrade version with full support from Microsoft particularly as it is only £15 extra.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online