1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Purchasing Windows XP Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by charliehowar, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. charliehowar

charliehowar Thread Starter

I have been given an iPod as a gift but it is not compatiable with my computer because it uses Windows ME and XP or 2000 is required.

I therefore want to upgrade to Windows XP. I could buy an XP Home Upgrade for previous versions of Windows for £75. However, I have also found Windows XP Home OEM for £60. Buying the OEM version seems the clear choice, but I am concerned that it may not have proper support and the manuals I would need. I have a reasonable knowledge of OS's, but my understanding is that OEM products are primarily designed for advanced users and not users with average knowledge like myself.

Which version should I get?

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Go the extra £15 Charlie - you get a proper Product Key with the chance to register and not have to worry about all the other issues.

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

There is no difference between OEM and other versions as far as the installation or the installed product. With OEM you do NOT get manuals or Micorsoft support. If those are important to you, buy the upgrade version. You can perform a clean install with a upgrade version.

This is a good guide to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print it for eeference during the install.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

Hope this helps . . wrs

4. charliehowar

charliehowar Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. It seems worthwhile to get the upgrade version with full support from Microsoft particularly as it is only £15 extra.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274732

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice