1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Purge

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by beahare, Jun 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. beahare

beahare Banned Thread Starter

My computer was infected with a virus. I was going to pay $100 for the computer repair person in my area to purge my system. I was told there is a way to purge the system from the inside. I didn't really know there was a way to do this besides formatting the hard-drive. Can you explain to me how I'm supposed to purge the system from the inside and how to do it?

Thanks

2. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Sounds like he's B***Sh****ng you to the tune of $100.
    He's probably just going to run a few programs, delete a few files and have a nose around.

(Would depend on the extent and type of infection, and of course the importance and recoverability of files actually damaged...... but $100 seems excessive.)

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Rumpo,
    I don't think it's BS at all, that sounds cheap to me as it will most likely take 3 hours to fully clean the system, and depending on how bad it is, it may need reformatting in which case it's a real bargain. You have to realize by the time a user says they have a virus, the pc is probably innundated as anyone who works in the business would tell you .
    Average going rate in Philly area is $65-70 an hour and if tyhe person comes to you, then much higher.

4. qldit

qldit

Good Morning beahare, when a major problem has happened with a viral or malware kind of problem it often happens that various files have been altered within the machine that may have or will cause further integrity problems.

You can run all the various kinds of scans and even do online scans but the possibility remains that you will have an insecure system.

To this end, if you don't know what the actual viral problems were and what effect they may have caused, you are in an area of uncertainty.

Rather than play around, the best method is to completely clean and zerowrite the hard drive, inspect it, then clean reload the entire system and pay more attention to security from this point.
    Even MS have finally produced a free spyware scanner which obviously indicates their concern about their systems pathetic vulnerabilities.

A work around, if you are not into gaming or MS dependent, is to consider a Linux installation, this is a different kind of operating system that has inherent markedly greater security integrity. It is free, but you need to obtain CDs or download off the net.

With Linux systems there is a learning curve required because there are quite a few differences, but the freedom from worries and general satisfaction is worth the exercise.

If you would like to try a Linux System we can tell you how.
    If you would like to reload your entire windows system from scratch we can tell you how, but you would need internet access to receive ongoing instructions.
    You would also need your proper Windows disks and information about all the items in your machine so that correct drivers could be obtained if you don't currently have them.

You would also need to obtain all the Device descriptions and record them on paper.
    This is quite simple with a small analysis utility.

Oh, and you would need some ice in a bag, this is to place on your head to help address brain overheat!
    Apart from that you will enjoy the learning experience.
    Cheers, qldit.

5. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

I'm still trying to get to grips with the disparity of US and UK financial matters that keep coming up on this board (for me at least).
    So even though you get products for next to nothing (compared to UK prices), and then a rebate on top of that, your services are more expensive than ours by the sound of it.
    I'd be embarrassed to charge that much for a few hours work!

Anyway, I think qldit is on the money suggesting a reformat.
    It'll be cheaper and achieve the same end.

6. qldit

qldit

Yes actually Rumpo that sounds like a fair kind of charge for a full reload and warranty kind of job.
    Even here in Australia it could cost AUS$125 which would be comparable.
    It is a fair amoint of work and time.
    qldit.

7. pugmug

pugmug Banned

The saying goes, you pay for an education. lol

8. beahare

beahare Banned Thread Starter

Yes, yes. I know all that. I;m just asking how is it possible for him to wipe it from the inside.

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If the computer is still bootable, and you are willing to put in a few hours on this yourself, post a HijackThis scanlog in a NEW thread in the Security forum here, and explain the problems you are having.

Security experts may be able to help you resolve any problems.

Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor". Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/476002

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice