Purple Flickering?! Help Please!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kristin364

About 3 weeks ago I built a brand new system. It's been running perfectly up until now. For the past two days I have noticed that the color flickers on my monitor. Every once in awhile the entire screen turns purple for a split-second. I can still see everything on my desktop and whatnot, but it's like looking through purple-colored glasses.

Sometimes instead of the entire screen turning purple, little bands of purple will run along the width of the screen.

My monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 740a and my graphics card is a ATI Radeon X700 Pro. Also, I am using Windows XP. Any idea what's going on?

Thanks!

OMG your infecting the net with your purple problem now your writing is PURPLE!!!!!!

Seriously though. Have you checked your connection to your video card is secure? Have you checked the connector on the monitor side? Did you try another monitor on the PC to see if the problem persits?

I had the exact same issue a few years back on a clients pc.. Turned out his cable running from the monitor to the vid card got crunched (I think he he moved his desk on top of it) Anyway, I replaced the cable using one from a blown monitor, and it worked like a charm. I had another client who had an onboard vid card and her husband went to take the cable off it, but apparently didn't know you had to unscrew it. So he just yanked it. It took the connection to his graphics clear out of the system. It was never right after that ;) Like the other poster suggested, try a diff monitor. Good luck!

As StumpedTechy mentioned, check to make sure that *all* connections are secure. Furthermore, if the problem continues to happen, try to press the Print Screen key on your keyboard as quickly as possible when your screen goes purple.

Open up MS Paint (Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Paint), go to Edit, then click Paste. Save the image and upload it here as an attachment.

-If you can see purpleness on that screenshot, then it is likely an issue with your video card (loose connection, card not properly seated, bad drivers, etc.).

-If the purple colour does not appear on the screenshot even though you saw it on the monitor at the time, then it is more likely a problem with your monitor (loose connection, internal problem, display or colour settings, etc.).

Is your monitor new or old?

As already mentioned, try to swap both monitor and VGA/DVI cables to see if the condition persists.

What resolution and refresh rate are you running (right click on the desktop --> hit Properties --> Settings to get the resolution, then from there, click Advanced at the bottom, then click the Monitor tab to get the refresh rate).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online