Put Windows 7 drive in USB enclosure and can't open Users folder on other computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thebigguyconnor

I took out my Windows 7 boot drive and put it inside of a USB enclosure and when I try and go to my profile, I can't open Users folder on other computer. I don't have an administrator account on this other computer. Is there any way to open up the folder? Any tips?

It just says access denied when I try and open it up on a windows xp computer with no ADMIN privileges (I can't get admin on this computer). On a XP computer that has admin it opens fine. I figured since I actually wasn't using the OS that was on the drive I wouldn't have any trouble reading any folders on it (but I guess that because it's NTFS there are more security measures, unlike FAT32 which would let anybody read anything).

Would I just need to open up the folder on a computer with admin and then copy the things over while I still have admin?

Thanks for any / all help.

2 questions
1 why would you put it in a USB enclosure?
2 Are you trying to use it with a different computer?

thebigguyconnor

I put the drive inside the enclosure so that I could use it with other computers while the original computer that the drive was in is being repaired.

Yes I am plugging it into another computer, as if it were a regular external hard drive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online