1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Puter Wont Let Me Download Anything!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hornblower, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hornblower

hornblower Thread Starter

This is GSPack typing this for my Fatherinlaw Hornblower who is reg..but very computer illiterate so I am helping with your help guys!
    For some reason his computer will no longer allow him to download anything. He has deleted several things or aciddentially deleted things he wants like Accuweather.com Desktop and we tried to add the Internet Explorer 6 tool bar that has the Back forward refresh etc and it wont even let us update IE 6.
    He just recently installed McAfee virusscan 2004 ver.8.0. Could this somehow be blocking downloads.
    I attempted to download HiJackthis with no luck either and also update his Adware to the new Adware SE with no luck.
    Any help you can give us will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Hornblower
    GSpack

2. physician

physician

Welcome to the forums

What OS are you runnin? You could try a system restore if you are XP. If you are win 2K, you could put your OS installation disk in and try the reboot, repair option. You could uninstall mcafee (personally i dont care for mcafee- too many probs) and see if that helps...doc

if this is a malware, then you have a serious problem since it is blocking downloads. You may have to download to another computer, burn or make a floppy then move it to the sick computer

3. danielno8

danielno8

what does it say when u click on a link to download something?

4. physician

physician

To set up your internet explorer toolbar, first you can right click on a part of it and select the options you want - standard buttons, links toolbar and customize. IF you dont have the three panes or levels, just move your mouse slowly on the bottom of the bars til you get the double arrow. Left click and drag down slowly to add one more panel. This should help. It is not an update...doc

5. GSPack

GSPack

Thank you Doc for the quick response! I am at home(just 30' away from hornblower)LOL but wanted to let you know I checked out responses.
    Sorry I wasn't thinking he has Windows XP.
    As to the question by Daniel: Nothing comes up on the screen..the window that you have open after you click the download bar just disapears in otherwords it closes as though you clicked on the X in the top of the window..
    If I have him uninstall the McAfee we can always reinstall it if we have to right? I tried to install the same program and my SE98 would not install it completely even with the help of their Techs..LOL I gave it to hornblower and he said it was installed in less than 30sec. I'll stick with my AVG and AdAware programs..havent had a problem in over 6 months..
    Doc I tried to do the last suggestion, but in an attempt to check out what your first suggestion I did it to mine..Talk about simplicity..LOL why didnt I think of that one...Thank you will get it on his tomorrow morning!
    Have a great night
    and as usual you guys come thru in a pinch. Will try your suggestions and let you know how it works sometime tomorrow!

GSPack

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!