1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Putting a Zune 80gb Hard Drive in an External Hard Drive Enclosure, help please!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spiritualpieces, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spiritualpieces

spiritualpieces Thread Starter

Hey guys!

My Zune 80gb stopped working a while back. It wouldn't charge. So I thought I would take out the hard drive and use it as an external 80gb hard drive. So I bought an 1.8" ZIF encolsure for it and installed the hard drive into it.

All appears good with the installation. When I plug the hard drive into the PC the light on the hard drive enclosure comes on and stays on & the disk starts spinning. Then Windows Vista does the whole "Install new Hardware" thing and calls it a "Disk Drive" and a "USB Mass Storage Device" and says hardware is installed and ready for use.

But the problem is I can't seem to access the drive. I can't find it anywhere. It doesn't show up as a drive I can use or anything. I tried a third party partitioning prgram to try and find the disk so I could reformat it but it wouldn't it couldn't find it either. I even plugged the drive into my Mac thinking that Disk Utility might be able to recognize it and let me wipe it, but the Mac doesn't recognize it as anything.

Back in Vista, Using Device Manager, Vista notices the drive under the "Disk Drives" option as a "Disk Drive" and that it is elecronically signed by Microsoft (since it has the Zune firmware on it) but I can't do anything with it :( ... And this is the only place where I can see that the drive even exists. I can't reformat it or anything.

Can anyone help me? I thought I read somewhere that the problem is the zune firmware. Is there anyway I can wipe it?!?

Please help!! I have spent hours searching online and can't seem to get anywhere. :(

If I have posted this is in the wrong forum, I am sorry.

Thank you,
    Timothy

2. spiritualpieces

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is it in Disk Management?

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management

or go to Start > Run, and type:

diskmgmt.msc

4. spiritualpieces

Yes sir, it shows up in Disk Manager, but it only shows up as "Disk Drive". That's the only place where I can see it. It doesn't show up in "My Computer" as a drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!