1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Putting harddrive in new computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ACA529, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

Hello, I've just finished building a new computer and I'm wondering if it would be okay to just put the hard drive in the new computer without reformatting. Will all my files be the same? Or do I absolutely have to reformat? I heard somewhere that I could get away with it but I'd need to go uninstalling something before I move it over. It's using Windows XP Pro.

Thanks.

2. bingo24

bingo24

3. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. :)

4. ODIN 0ERO

ODIN 0ERO Guest

are you trying to transfer the HDD from your old PC with preinstaled WINDOWS XP to your new PC?

if so you may have a problem with starting your operating system on your NEW PC.

when you install WINDOWS on a HDD on a particular PC the operating system configures itself for that particular pc and its motherboard.

transferring your HDD with PREINSTALLED WINDOWS XP to a completely different PC may very likely cause your system to crash or freeze.

bear that in mind.

make backups of your important data if you have not done so already.

5. bbearren

bbearren

I've done it a couple of times, with retail W2K and retail XP. You do need to have everything backed up, in case something qoes awry.

I did it by going into Device Manager on the old machine that currently has the hard drive installed, uninstalling all hardware devices one at a time (yes, this takes a while) without doing any reboots.

After you have everything uninstalled in Device Manager, shut down the old machine, remove the hard drive and put it in the new machine, and power up the new machine. Windows will boot and go about discovering new hardware and installing drivers for it.

Make sure you have driver CD's or floppies available for your motherboard and any hardware that needs more than the generic Windows drivers.

And keep in mind, although it has worked for me, it may well not work for you, so make sure you have everything backed up. You may end up having to do a fresh install of Windows and all your applications.

6. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

I heard that if I uninstall my IDE controllers / display adapters / sound controllers it will be fine to transfer the hard drive over.

What do you guys think?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/554203

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice