1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Putting My Files on CD - READ ONLY

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Maui, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Maui

Maui Thread Starter

Hi all
    I am trying to put a lot of my files both docs etc and photos on CD. When I go to open the files or rename files in MY COMPUTER, it tells me they are read-only files. When I try to change the attributes it says access denied. What do I do to allow this to occur? It also tells me upon opening the files that they are read only.

I have WINXP, DELL INSPIRPON 8600, with Office Professional; Sonic DLA, My DVD and My CD.

Someone suggested re-formatting that does not work either. Discs are supposed to be pre-formatted.

Thanks
    Jeanne

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    files on CD have the attribute of read only - but you should be able to save to your harddrive any modifications

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

When you copy files from a CD/DVD, they have the R/O attribute set, since attributes are copied with the files. You can right click on a file, a group of files, or a folder, and remove the R/O attribute if the files reside on the hard disk.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Just to add to the above, all CD media types are read only by nature. Once written, the file can be read, but the dye color change cannot be "undone" to allow the file to be edited.

On a CD-RW, the design is that the disk can be erased and used again as a "re-writeable" disk, not that the disk is "read/write"

Some packet writing software can work around that, but it is highly unreliable in doing so.

In short, a CD (or DVD) is nothing like a hard drive or floppy drive in the way it works.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice