1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Putting Windows XP on a Sony Vaio LS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by timelord726, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. timelord726

timelord726 Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I have a client (a hotel) who is redesigning their front desk / lobby area to be sleeker and nicer looking for the guests. One of the revamped design aspects will be the computers that are stationed at the front desk. The hotel executives saw and liked the Sony Vaio LS series and wanted to use those, so we ordered one for testing.

When it got here, we found that the computer came with Windows Vista Business preinstalled, which would have been ideal, except for the fact that the hotel runs a very specific and critical piece of software which, we have heard straight from the developers, absolutely positively will not run on Vista, no way, no how.

So we still like the idea of using the Vaios for the front desk, but they will need to be reformatted with Windows XP instead of Vista. I already attempted this a short while ago, but after a fresh install of Windows XP, absolutely nothing worked right out of the box (there was no sound, no Ethernet, no wireless, incorrect video drivers, etc.). I went to another computer and downloaded all of Sony's drivers from their web site, but as soon as I tried to install them, it told me the drivers were only compatible with Windows Vista.

This leaves me in a rather dire situation. The Vaio cannot be returned, so we really have to get it working somehow. Is there any way to get just the base drivers working on Windows XP? The machine has a bunch of extra stuff we don't need (like the camera and TV tuner for instance) -- really all we need is Ethernet. Video acceleration, sound drivers, and wireless would all be really good to have, but I suppose not absolutely critically essential.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get this computer working normally with Windows XP?

Thanks in advance!

2. Flags

Flags

Did you try to go to the network card manufacturer's site to get their xp drivers?
    Same with any other XP drivers you need.

Sony's site doesn't even list the LS series that I could find.

3. timelord726

timelord726 Thread Starter

4. michaelspadaro1

michaelspadaro1

:) Good News, You can get XP onto your gorgeous LS Computers.

I've done it, but you have to be careful. First, what LS model to you have ?

LS37E ?
    LS30E ?
    LS25E ?
    LS36N ?

Once I know the model, I can help.
    Most of the components in the LS series are the same as the high end Sony Laptops.

All of the drivers for XP are on the laptop support pages. But I need your LS model number
    to guide you.

You may also try this link as the VGS-LS1 (very first LS series)model came with windows xp:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=VGCLS1&UpdateType=Everything&SelectOS=16

Let me know how you make out !

Michael

5. sam911

sam911

Hey there

I have recently bought the new desktop Sony Vaio LS30E. For some reaos Windows Vista did not appeal me nor did it suit for my needs. So i downgraded it to XP professional 32bit.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me out with the procedure for installing the drivers on the model LS30 e so that it can work in full blast.

Thanks in advance.

6. michaelspadaro1

michaelspadaro1

7. sam911

sam911

Hey Micheal

I tried to follow the procedure you mentioned by downloading the drivers for VGC LS1 but for most of the drivers i got an error msg " the update is not intended for use with your computer model" what should I do about it now? could you please guide me as you mentioned that you have installed XP before on one of the vaio LS models..

Thanks in advance

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

They could have just used any computer with a flat-screen monitor, tucking the tower under a cabinet. Seems like a boneheaded business move on their part to spend extra for a "pretty" computer.

Reverting a new computer to XP is only possible if there are hardware drivers available for XP. The drivers either exist or they don't. Sounds like you're trying to install an incompatible driver.

9. harken

harken

I have an LS 25E onto which I want to load XP (same story - friend is a dentist whose office software is not Vista compatible). Can you tell me which Sony laptop drivers would be compatible with XP on the 25E?

Thanks

10. odydog

odydog

Hi Michael

I have a LS30E and would love to have the corret drivers in orer to chnge the os to XP Pro.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/613628

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice