Putting WINXP on second personal computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

davidkline8

I've recently upgraded to a faster system but when I try to install my WINXP the keyboard locks up and wont let me go any further with the install. Also when I try to swap the hard drive from the old system to the new one I says it doesnt recognize the file system of the drive. I know they cant expect you to buy a copy of WINXP every time you upgrade to a new system by locking it in to one computer only even though it says for use on one computer only. Any experience *version is Home*. Also tried to put my WIN98 in but couldn't find the ref code. Any way to find this out?

USB keyboard? . . It's not easy to move a drive from one system to another . . almost impossible and if you do, it will be full of problems. When you try to install, disconnect all external peripherals except the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless. Any internal USB card should also be removed.

crjdriver

Is this a full version of xp or is it a recovery type of disk or perhaps an oem that came pre-installed?

If you had a full version of xp on your old system, you can remove it and install it on your new system without any legal problems. If you had an oem version on your old system, yes you have to buy a new xp. The oem is bundled to the original hardware; it is in the eula that you agree to.

As to moving a drive with xp, it is not difficult however I recommend a clean install. There is a procedure to follow to do this and has worked for me at least 15-20 times without fail. Prior to posting instructions on how to do this, we need to be sure you have a legal lic to use the os on the new computer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online