1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Putty Crashing on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DigitalGonzo, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalGonzo

DigitalGonzo Thread Starter

May 26, 2010
    Hey everyone. First-time poster. I'm having the same issue as was reported in this thread: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/909343-putty-crashes-when-loading-xterm.html . In my case, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, and besides Putty I'm only using Xming, but the crash is the same. There doesn't seem to be any particular thing that sets it off, at least that I can figure out -- sometimes it occurs when I'm using a program external to the putty shell, sometimes it will freeze as I'm typing something in Putty, and other times I'll have it open, switch over to a different window (checking email, etc), and when I look back Putty has frozen. Sometimes it will report it as a crash (with the useless messages reported in the other thread), but often it just freezes and I'm forced to shut it down through Task Manager (though occasionally it will freeze, but when I close it via the close button, vs. typing "exit", it will close fine).

I had been using Windows Vista on this machine and upgraded. Putty and Xming both worked bug-free previously, so it would seemingly have something to do with Windows 7. Any thoughts?
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/925390