1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Putty & Windows 7

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by elfuser, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elfuser

elfuser Thread Starter

I had this problem with Windows Vista also, so it may not be a Windows 7 problem particularly. The Problem? Well I am trying to use Putty in my PC running Windows 7, I want it to work as Terminal works in the Mac computers.
    I already tried googling the same question, but all the answers I get are about using Putty for remote connections. I just want to use my computer as the server.
    I hope this is not a dumb question, and thanks in advance for all your comments.
    Toolsen

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

3. elfuser

elfuser Thread Starter

Thanks a lot. I went to the ssh website you advised me to go to, but it was down. So I downloaded another ssh server (freeSSHd), and got Putty to connect to it. Now do you know how I can use Unix in that putty window.
    Thanks

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You cannot use any Unix cmds through this. Just because you installed an SSH server doesn't make your Windows computer a Unix box.

If you want a Unix like environment on your Windows 7 computer then install Cygwin.
    http://www.cygwin.com/

5. elfuser

elfuser Thread Starter

So I installed cygwin, and in fact it is a Unix like systems. But I want to run Unix commands, and its not letting me use the most basic ones. Thanks for again, and sorry if these questions are too dumb

6. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

What are the basic commands you are trying to use?

If you type 'ls' and hit enter do you get anything?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/886130