1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Puzzle me this: stove makes computer beep!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pnine, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pnine

pnine Thread Starter

Alright gents. This positively baffles me.

I am running a ASUS Essentio CG5275-AR003 (pentium processor i5, running windows 7). I opened it up one time, to put an eco geforce 9800GT GPU into the PCIEx16 slot. The computer is running plugged into a power strip.

When I turn on my gas stove, which is about ten feet away separated by a counter, the computer beeps. The noise is a quick, two tone "ba-dum" tone. It wont happen right away, so I can sit there with the clicking from my gas stove going, and the tone will go off irregularly. I can reproduce this indefinitely. There are no on-screen indications of why the noise is occurring. It is seriously weirding me out.

Ryan

2. K7M

K7M

It sounds like the electronic ignition on the stove is interfering with your computer. Try plugging the range or the computer into another part of the house.

3. pnine

pnine Thread Starter

After the strangeness factor wore off, I figured that might be it as well. I have very little electrical knowledge or experience, so the affirmation really helps. Thank you!

4. TRS-80 vet

TRS-80 vet Account Closed

The stove's ignition device is probably a piezo-electric lighter, and they don't normally cause radio interference.

Try lighting a BIC lighter right next to the computer, and see if it does the same thing.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The sound you describe sounds more like the sound when a USB device is plugged in or un-plugged to me.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!