1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Puzzled by loss of wireless connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jactac1, Mar 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jactac1

jactac1 Thread Starter

Hi again...

I've suddenly 'lost' the wireless network on my pc, can't figure out why.
    I'm using a Belkin adsl router and installed a network card a while ago as I was having problems using an adaptor ..... also, I re-installed XP just under 2 weeks ago due to other problems.....everything has been working just fine, no problems, then the other day I left the pc running while I was doing something and when I came back to it the wireless connection was gone! ....all I get now is a message saying no wireless networks can be found in range.... I had two that were, mine and a neighbours, both now gone.
    The router seems ok, I can connect via ethernet, all the lights are on (that should be and are steady. The network cards light is on and blinking, as it always has.... I've tried re-setting the router .... uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, removing connections and making new ones .... I thought maybe the card was faulty so tried to connect using another adaptor, but with the same result.... no wireless network in range... am at a loss as what to do next.

Any ideas please.......

2. jamtarts

jamtarts

I'm having a similar problem, well it's quite different but have experienced what you describe in trying to fix it,

I found that happened if the Belkin software was set to configure the network and you used the windows software to find it, and vice versa,

I'm not an expert but hopefully it might give you something to go on? In the Belkin software in the options section you could change which software was managed and hopefully find it there?

Also can other devices find the network (mobile phone, laptop, xbox 360 etc) that would let you know it's working or not?

sorry if it's things you've tried, hope it helps :)

3. jactac1

jactac1 Thread Starter

Hi
    Not sure exactly what you mean ....I've tried using windows to configure the connection and the network cards software... neither seem to work, have looked in device manager, no exclamation marks , yellow triangles, all reported as working...

Unfortunately I have nothing else to try and make a connection with...

Thanks for trying to help :)

4. jamtarts

jamtarts

hi,

I'm going by memory here, but I'll check tomorrow as it's my father's pc, but on his pc the wireless adapter/reciever is a belkin one, it's own software installed as part of the driver.

In the options setting you can choose whether the belkin software or windows managed the network. I found that when you tried to use windows to find a network and belkin software was in control it did not find any networks and vixe versa. Hopefully your wireless adapter may have software installed with something similar?

I've found a screenshot as an example, hopefully it's ok to use and nobody minds ;)
    http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/img/2006/belkinn1/08.jpg

5. jactac1

jactac1 Thread Starter

Ah ...I see.... it's the router that is Belkin ....network card is Micronet and has it's own software, but can't connect through that either, just says it's not associated.
    What's weird is that it was working just fine, both before and after I'd re-installed XP .... just suddenly started saying there were no wireless networks in range when previously there'd been two showing.....
    Will carry on trying.... thanks :)

6. jamtarts

jamtarts

if you can get a friend that has a wireless device (laptop, ipod touch, phone, psp etc) to bring it round and try and find the signal, that would narrow it down to if it's the router or the pc,

best of luck :)

7. waggy19

waggy19

Hi,
    Start>Run> Services.msc

In services, locate the service named "Wireless Zero Configuration". Start this service if it is stopped (Right Click>Start). Or restart it if it is already started (Right Click>Restart)

Close the services window.

Head into control panel and find network connections. Double click on that.

Right click on your wireless network connection and click on properties.

Click on the "Wireless Networks" tab and there is a tick box at the top saying use windows to configure my network. Put the tick in the box, apply the settings and close any windows.

Attempt to connect to your network again as normal

Get back to us with the results :)

8. jamtarts

jamtarts

Good post Waggy, thanks, I've just tried that myself, hopefully that will solve my problem too, :)

9. jactac1

jactac1 Thread Starter

Hi waggy
    Did what you said .... all I get is a balloon popping up in the taskbar saying no wireless network is available .... clicked on repair but still nothing

10. waggy19

waggy19

Well the fact that you can connect through ethernet and you say the system was picking up 2 wireless networks yesterday indicates that a router issue is unlikely. Have you reseated the wireless card?

Are the drivers installed for the wireless card the ones recommended by the Manufacturer or generic ones?

Has the system seen any environmental changes in the last few days? Any new filing cabinets or cupboards?

11. jactac1

jactac1 Thread Starter

I've un-installed, re-installed.... re-seated the card, even tried it in a different PCI slot.....the drivers are the ones that came with the card.
    I tried system restore as well, to just before this happened..... still nothing ... I hadn't changed a thing, nothing has been moved ....

12. waggy19

waggy19

Hmmm,

And after setting windows to manage the network, have you reinstalled the other wireless adaptor to rule out this one?

13. jactac1

jactac1 Thread Starter

no....I'll try that now :)

14. jactac1

jactac1 Thread Starter

same thing....when I click connect.... it says no wireless network is in range

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/806676

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice