Puzzled by my CPU

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Clare_Crossland

I have recently built a pc using a gigabyte motherboard (GA-6BXE) and a PIII-600MHz cpu.

To get the PIII CPU to work I had to flash the motherboard bios to the latest level with a borrowed PII 450 CPU.

Now the pc works like a dream - almost. Unfortunately, the CPU is repotring in as a PIII 450 instead of 600MHz. I have checked and double checked the switches on the motherboard and these are correct for a PIII 600. I have also tried changing them to eg. a PIII 500 but whatever the switches are set to it still thinks it is a PIII 450MHz.

I have looked through the bios but can't find any way of changing the multiplier etc in there.

I have since flashed the bios again with an even later level (beta code) thinking that perhaps it picked up the cpu details at bios flash time but no change.

Can anyone shed any light for me ???

Clare_Crossland

Tweakboy,

yes - I've scoured that website but it didn't help !! I ahve also sent them an e-mail but as yet, no reply ......

The multiplier's on p3's are internally locked, you can't change them from the default no matter how hard you try.

If you really have a 600 in the machine the multiplier would have to be set at 6 and the front side bus to 100 6 x 100=600

Go here http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002374/src/download.html and download wcpuid and run it. It's a little utility that will tell you lots about your current chip settings.

Post back what it says for multiplier, front side bus(system clock)

Clare_Crossland

brianF

Output from WCPUID as follows :

Processor Intel PIII
Platform Slot 1
Vendor Genuine Intel
CPU Type Original OEM Processor
Fmaily 6 Model 8 Stepping ID 1
Internal Clock 449.94 MHz
System clock 99.99MHz
System Bus 99.99MHz
Multiplier 4.5
L1 I-cache 16 K Byte
L1 D-cache 16 K Byte
L2 cache 256 K Byte
Full
L2 Speed 449.94MHz

MMX, SSE supported

Windows 98 version 4.10.2222A

The CPU is definately labeled with PIII 600 MHz.
Have I been deceived or is there something I can do ?

Thanks is advance,

Clare.
:confused:

I am totally baffled, it is running at 450 with a 4.5 multiplier which would make it a 450 but the 450's where Katami processor's and only came with 512kb of half speed cache, yours is saying 256kb of full speed cache which would be coppermine

Doh, now I know, it's a EB version chip, a P3 600EB which is a coppermine 600mhz which runs on a default bus speed of 133, not 100

I don't think your motherboard can run EB processors, will have to check.

Your motherboard is a 440bx chip, it won't properly run the EB version of the chip that you have. It needs to run on a 133mhz front side bus The 810/815/820/etc chipsets would run it but not the 440bx

Your best bet would be to try and return the chip and get the E version which is meant to run at 100mhz by default.

To run yours that high you would have to severly overclock it and I don't think your memory would take it.

simple solution i had this happen all these people act so smart with these big smart solutions here is SoLuTiOn
the motherboard command line to the bios knows it is a 600mhz but is puzzled by the board type and way u programmed so the command line substitutes the 600 for 450 common when interchangign mother boards and cpu's the cpu is still running at 650 mhz's as well as computer(motherboard etc) so don't worry and your welcome and since you seem to have a knack for computers can u please check out my fourms i need help they back on last page hardware

Just for information sake, there are 3 600 versions of pentium processors

1. 600B Old Katami, 100mhz fsb, 6 multiplier, with 512kb 1/2 speed cache
2. 600E Coppermine, 100mhz front side bus, 6 multiplier, 256K full speed cache
3. 600EB Coppermin, 133mhz front side bus, 4.5 multiplier, 256K full speed cache

I truly believe you have number 3, you need number 2

wcpuid doesn't error that I have ever heard of. The family stepping and ID # correspond to a 600E or 600EB in Intels pentium specifications along with higher mhz cpu's.

If you want to double check run intels utility for testing cpu speed, ect
The Intel® Processor Frequency ID Utility was developed by Intel Corporation to enable consumers the ability to identify and, in some circumstances, determine if their Intel processor is operating at the correct and rated frequency intended by Intel Corporation. Beginning with the Pentium® processor, this utility provides consumers with the ability to determine standard CPU identification of Intel processors. In addition, supported processors can utilize the Frequency Test feature of the utility to help determine if a processor has been overclocked.

http://support.intel.com/support/processors/tools/frequencyid/

You can also go to start/run/type dxdiag and press enter. On the first page it will show your processor speed. It shows mine even overclocked correctly

Clare_Crossland

BrianF

Thank you so much for your wise words. You have helped me immensely (and depressed me too!!) and I now have a much better understanding ......

I think I will probably buy a new motherboard that supports 133 MHz fsb rather than change the cpu.

I hadn't realised that there could be so much difference between slot 1 cpus !

For info, I ran the frequency id tool and it has reported frequency of 450MHz and 100 MHz fsb and expected frequency of 600Mhz and 133MHz fsb.

Thanks again,

Clare.

You welcome, sorry about the outcome, your not the first to have that happen, those designation letters on cpu's can be confusing.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online