1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Puzzled by USB Hub Power Adapter Voltage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dukane, Apr 16, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Dukane

Dukane Thread Starter

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Presumably they do deliver around 5V at the Usb ports. I suspect the 12V from the adapter is just a way of delivering more power to the hub (power in Watts = Voltage x Current).

3. Dukane

Dukane Thread Starter

Yes, that makes sense. Thank you managed.

Most everything USB related requires 5vdc. There must be a step down converter in those
    hubs to provide 5vdc at the ports.

That quote from Paul Ehrlich is so true and funny!

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome.

Yes I believe 5V is the standard for all Usb ports. Some can deliver extra maximum current though, I think Usb 2.0 is 500mA, Usb 3 900mA and some ports that can also charge things like phones are higher still.

I'm glad you like the quote. ;)

(If/when you feel it is please click on the [Mark Solved] button at the top of your page).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225880

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice