1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Puzzled by W7Pro's "Music" vs. "My Music"

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by wguru, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wguru

wguru Thread Starter

No doubt I'm likely the problem, but on my mentioned (clean installed) os, only the default sample music folder/files are found at start>music (in classic view).

In that I imported my music files to C:/Users/my name/My Music folder, am I expecting too much for the "My Music" files to also list in the start>music dropdown menu?

Apologies that my inexperience with W7, file sharing and libraries no doubt are the root of my 'issue'.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Start - Music will open Window Explorer to the Music Library. You can add delete locations (folders) that contain the actual folders/files you want to see.

Just realized that you said "classic view." I don't know if that makes any difference.

3. wguru

wguru Thread Starter

Thank you for replying. In that I rarely ever find anything simply explaining with regards to what users are experiencing, may I impose and ask for a bit more detail?

By your first sentence's comment, could we say that the menued "music", (and even the other three default library folders), "documents", "pictures" and "videos" are listed there for our convenience and that 'Windows Explorer' opens folders such that we can view and manage their contents, hopefully without misconboobulating things on the system?

I ask that as while thus far not found any issues by dragging folders/files into these four default library folders, for some reason later after doing that with my C:\Users\My Name\My Music, the "My Music" folder's icon* (if that's the right term) turned into a standard folder's icon* (as seen in C:\Users\My Name).

Later I see that the My Music folder's icon* was restored to resemble the Windows specialized icons*, so maybe the issue was that I might not have dragged (copied) the My Music folder and instead I might have somehow moved or pasted it into the 'start/music' folder.

Lastly, I'm posting some screenshots of things as they are now. Might someone knowledgible look at them and tell me if there could be any issue with what seem to be redundant and/or unnecessarily duplicated sets of my documents, etc.?

http://img27.imageshack.us/i/explorerusers.jpg/
    http://img37.imageshack.us/i/explorerusersexpanded.jpg/
    http://img171.imageshack.us/i/explorerlibraries.jpg/
    http://img197.imageshack.us/i/currentstartmenuetc.jpg/

Note that my locked folders are my current precaution against unauthorized access, that following my feeble attempts at wirelessly sharing my two laptop's (W7 and XPH SP3) files.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It took me a while to grasp the concept of the Windows 7 Libraries. They are not folders, they are just ways to display actual folders/files. Note that at the top there is a notation of how many locations (often actual folders) are included. You can add or remove locations from a library, and there is no actual change to the folders or files at that location. Just a matter of whether that location is included in the given library. Note that the contents of the Library can be Arranged in different ways (Folder seems to be the default option for all libraries).

When you drag a folder or file into a Library, where does it go if the Library is just a concept? It goes into the default save location (see attached).

I'm at least a wee bit old fashioned (although I do usually just say "folder" when talking about a "directory") so most of the time I just open Windows Explorer pinned to the Task Bar and open the folder(s) of interest. Working with folders is the same experience as working with them in XP or Vista. I open a Library when I want to view pictures arranged other than by folder and when I'm trying to confuse, I mean explain to, somebody here.

Attached Files:

5. wguru

wguru Thread Starter

Much appreciate your added reply. I know nobody's time and/or resources are unlimited.

Please don't think I'm questioning anyone's use of W7's Libraries, but when I read 'when you drag a folder or file into a Library...it goes into the 'default save location', that sort of explanation doesn't tell me much and without affording any other comment supporting that statement.

So initially I was leaning towards that being somewhat unbelievable (with what little I know about Libraries and what little your comments actually imparted).

In other words, I just found it hard to wrap my head around W7 Libraries folder/files having much to do with a 'default save location' for files, especially since nowhere had I yet to find that folder/files in Libraries folders are little more than ghosts of the base folders/files (which those obviously are not in Libraries).

But I just ran across a pretty heady article about Libraries, ref. http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/de...14/stay-in-sync-with-windows-7-libraries.aspx

So I have to say that initially I found it difficult to conceibe that W7's Libraries folders were little more than folder/file storage locations for shortcuts to folder/files that are actually stored elsewhere, but the article is indicating that the Libraries folder/files can be configured to aid in more easily managing files that are, I'm guessing, in WMC and not just WMP (so as to avoid 'files missing' prompts when we've simply moved them).

As for WMP, I'd rather stick my finger down my throat, than player. But WMC is looking like MS finally came up with a fairly decent media player.

I'm left now to trying to figure out how to "use the Shell programming model with SHChangeNotifyRegister for all non-service processes", so that when I do figure out how to import "My Music" folders into the Libraries\Music folder, hopefully I'll get WMC up and running and moreover avoid issues I experi3enced with it in my last build.

Note I've yet to even run WMC on this build as I wanted to assure all my media files are stored in as few locations as possible, so I won't again run into my last W7 install's issue with WMC's somewhat jumbled folders, that and my subsequent moving and adding of those media files caused me to experience pretty much insurmountable issues with WMC's playing and/or finding them.

As nobody's yet commented on my current folder screenshots, perhaps in the coming days someone will, ref. if there's currently anything unusual in 'my documents' folders, I'd still much appreciate a little assurance there, that and someone offer some simple insight on my question concerning listing My Music folders in the Music folder.

Incidentally, some days ago, I believe I successfully
    "dragged" pictures and videos (files) into the libraries picture and videos folders, but today when I tried doing that with my 500+ music album folders, Windows refused to allow them being dropped into the Libraries\Music folder.

So as the article discloses that right-clicking the Libraries\Music folder's icon, reveals options for managing the libraries folders, likely too, there or deeper in the article, I expect to find out how to get My Music folders into the Libraries\Music folder.

As for setting WMC as the default media player, I'd have expected that thru control panel>default programs and the file types that WMC should support, oddly no xtns other than three are listed, all three being WMC speciality xtns.

Why the usual other media xtns aren't listed, I'm still puzzled, ie; .mpg, mpeg, etc.

So surely there's a way to list "My Music" folders (at least it's album folders) in the start>music folder, but I'm left to someone posting some guidance here.

Best regards and happ-e-trails to all,

wguru

6. wguru

wguru Thread Starter

Well, three weeks of hoping for a simple answer, I guess the forum wasn't up to it.

The simple answer should have been...

Wherever the music files are located, open that folder's directory and right-click the music's folder and select "include in library".

I feel just as bad for the forum as I do myself, as the solution (although nowhere explained by anyone) was almost simple.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't see how that is extremely more simple than my post # 2. I see now that I made it more complex by missing a word--meant to say "add or delete" instead of "add delete"--but I still don't understand how one method is much different than the other.

And, the screen shot attached to post # 4 showed the "Add" button.

8. wguru

wguru Thread Starter

Thanks again for afforded replies. I won't beleager the point, but I essentially posted I was unable to drag or add music files into the 'library's' music folder (so from start>music, I could expand the menu to view and choose music files I wanted to access in that manner) and I posted that thought perhaps the issue could be one of my own making (potentially my changing the default music folder, etc.).

But nobody replyied back with the default music folder locations, nor did anyone simply disclose that to add music files/folders to the library, the only way (it seems) to do that is to right-click the file/folder and select add to library.

Only after adding such a folder to the library, may users see the files/folders via start>music menu, plus (apparently) only thereafter users may drag files/folder's into the library.

Your replies and specifically the one saying "You can add delete locations (folders) that contain the actual folders/files you want to see"..didn't explain any of that.

But again, really I do apprediate your trying to help.

As to why users aren't afforded either the instruction for how to add music files/folder into the library, if W7 affords that somewhere, I didn't see it, and as usual, MS doesn't afford the expectable user interfacing/prompting that explains why a file fails dragging into a library folder.

Now I'll start another post to see if anyone can simply explain a means of managing Windows Media Center files, something I think is problematic at best, but likely just another Windpws 'bug' as once the user runs and set's WMC up, thereafter I found managing WMC's files nearly impossible, eg; once a folder/file is listed in WMC, it's nearly impossible to unlisted/remove it and/or to add new folders/files (short of formatting the pc, it's that or chance the convoluted registry hacking envolved with un-doing the WMC setup so as to start it's setup fresh).

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914286

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice