Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Puzzling Phenomenon

Solved 
787 views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
At times when I first start my PC (Win 10 Home OS) I hear a "long beep followed by three short ones" Most of the time the PC boots OK. The beeps seem to indicate a problem associated with the video card or the PCIe x 16 slots. Ones the PC boots OK all systems appear and continue to run OK. Here's what I tried which seem to work once I hear the beeps and the PC fails to boot. I turn the power switch off and then back on, restart the PC and it boots OK. Any ideas what's causing this?

Thanks

Donsor

#2 ·
We know nothing about your computer (other than it's running Windows 10 Home), so can you please do the following in it?

Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) file.
After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
Information about your computer will appear.
Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

--------------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
SF: I have an AMD Bios.

Flavalee: I'm still fumbling my way learning the Win 10. I had problems copying and pasting so I did the next best thing. Typing the System Info below.
OS Version - MS Win Home 64 Bit.
Processor - AMD Phenom (TM) II x 4 955 Processor AMD 64 Family 16 Mode 4
Stepping 3
Processor Cent 4
RAM: 8191 Mb
GPU: AMD Radeon (TM) R7 370 Series
HD: C: 269 Gb Free
D: 33 Gb Free
G: 279 Gb Free
Mobo: Asuster Computer Inc. M3A32-MVP Deluxe
Antivirus: Windows Defender

As you can see it's a vintage model, first PC I built. It started OK when I first started it this morning.
The GPU worked fine when I used it in a different PC.
I suspect that the PCIe x 16 slots are corrupted. I tried both slots and it was doing the same thing.
If the problem persists I can live with it. I don't want to shell out any money for it. This PC I'm using right now is a newer one I just built.

#7 ·
That's what's puzzling. When it makes the 1 long and 3 short beeps the PC seem to run OK except that the monitor does not work. But when I turn off the power switch in the back of the PC and turn it back on, then restart the PC, I hear the single short beep and the PC boots and runs OK even if I leave it on all day. If I restart it, it starts OK.

#8 ·
The users manual says it has an ASUS/AWARD BIOS and that does change the beep code to meaning it's an issue with the video card. What often helps is to use a pink pencil eraser to clean the gold fingers on the edge connector followed by replacing it back into the PC. Due to the manufacturing process, there can be some residue left on the connector and an eraser will clean it off without hurting the gold plating.

#10 ·
Davis McCarn: I've already done all that. I've seen a device that can be plugged into USB called External PCIe x 16 sold by Walmart for ten bucks.
flavallee: The PSU is also one of my prime suspect. I've got a 600W Corsair in it. BTW, the PC started OK this morning with no problem.

#13 ·
I'm not giving up on this. The PC works fine most of the time except sometimes it will produce the one long- three short beeps and fails to boot. When that happens I turn off power and then back on to the PC and then it will boot fine. The GPU card, the PSU & the PCIe slot are still suspects. However, one observation I noted. When I first start the PC I sense if the PC will boot up OK or not. I hear a slight "humming" sound. Every time it does this then I hear the 1 long-3 short beeps then the PC fails to boot. However, if I don't hear the "humming" sound when I first start the PC it boots OK (single short beep). I opened up the PC and listened closely for the source of that "mysterious" humming sound every time I start the PC. So far I haven't heard the "humming" sound and the PC boots OK every time. You figure

#14 ·
Product Rectangle Font Parallel Slope

According to your hardware specs in post #4, your computer has the above described processor(CPU) and graphic card(GPU).
As you can see, they use a combined total of 275W of power.
When you factor in the power needs of the other hardware, your computer needs a quality power supply(PSU) with sufficient wattage that can handle the power needs of all of its hardware.

In post #10, you said your computer has a Corsair 600W power supply.
Can you advise us the exact and complete model number of it?

------------------------------------------------------------------

#15 ·
Model No. Corsair GS 600 Gaming
I can't get the S/N nor the P/N without removing the device.
However, the Corsair GS600 Website lists all the related specs. It has a three year warranty. MTBF is 100K hours.
The only other load I have in the PC are two SATA Hard Drives, and two Optical Drives. In addition to the PSU fan and the CPU fan, there is one other 3-speed chassis fan which is set at mid speed.
At this point the PC seem to be booting OK every time but I'm watching anything unusual during start.

#16 ·
Aha! When I first started the PC this morning it produced the 1-long/3-short beep again and failed to boot. I cycled the PSU switch and started the device once more. I felt under the GPU to check if its cooling fans were spinning. I found one of the fans not spinning but after I touched it it started spinning, then I heard the single beep and the PC booted OK. Could the single inoperative GPU fan be causing this problem. I placed a mirror under the GPU so I can watch the fans every time start the PC and see if there is a correlation.

#18 ·
Not definite yet but I'm inclined to believe that the problem is associated with a malfunctioning GPU. Both fans are internally wired to the device and cannot be replaced with "off the market" fan. I'll continue to watch the fans and check their status when I hear the problem beeps.

#20 ·
Update. I reviewed the specs of my video card (Gigabyte AMD Radeon R7 370) and found out that I have a high performance gamer GPU that is slightly overclocked. It has a Windforce 2X Cooling system that is temperature controlled. Spec states that its power consumption is 110W but the System requirement is 500W. Further, it requires PCIe 3.0 while my mobo supports PCIe 2.2 architecture. At this point I will eliminate the GPU as the suspect and check on the Power supply. I've got a new 700W PSU but before I replace the PSU I'm doing a test that thus far seem to work. I used a different GPU 6-pin source and after a series of starts & stops, the PC seem to be booting OK. BTW I'm not using this PC for playing games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.