1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Puzzling WIRED Connection Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by boweasel, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boweasel

boweasel Banned Thread Starter

This is either real easy or real difficult.

An older XP Compaq desktop with SP3 stopped booting normally - it would get to the splash screen with the blue dots running from left to right and it would freeze. I got it to boot in safe mode and attempted a restore. Both restores (from Jan 24th and Jan 7th) were unsuccessful. I removed viruses using Malwarebytes and ComboFix, and got the PC to boot normally. Usually. Although about every 9th or 10th boot it freezes again on the splash screen.

It woun't connect to the internet using a good modem and cable (other PCs successfully connect using this same equipment). When I type IPCONFIG I get 2 results, one for Local Area Connection2, the other for LAC3. Both of them have IP Addresses of 169.254.xxx.xxx. Both have blank DNS Suffixes and blank Default Gateways.

When I go to Network Connections, the LAC2 says 'Limited or No Connectivity', but it lists a Linksys LNE 100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter. Linksys???? I have no Linksys product. LAC3 says 'Connected' using a WAN Network Driver. However, the network connections in the Notification Area has the same yellow triangle as LAC2. When I right click the icon in the Notification Area and select 'Repair' I always get the following '...following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP address.

If I right click LAC3 (the one that says 'Connected'), click properties, click TCP.IP and select properties it is set to obtain an IP address and a DNS server address automatically. This is also the same for LAC2.

DHCP Client, DNS Client and RPC Call are all started.

I have tried netsh winsock reset, ipconfig /flushdns, ipconfig /registerdns, ipconfig /release. When I the run ipconfig /renew I get the messages (after it sits there for about 2 minutes)
    An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection 2: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out..
    An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection 2: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out..

Have run chkdsk /r. Have run netsh int ip reset reset.log

I'm out of ideas. Anybody?

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Do you have any security software like Norton or McAfee?

Also does your computer have 2 physical LAN ports?

3. boweasel

boweasel Banned Thread Starter

It has Avast, but I notice that it's been disabled
    No, it only has the one ethernet port. with the solid yellow and blinking green lights.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089381

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice