1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PXE E-53: No boot filename received

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vanessa88, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vanessa88

vanessa88 Thread Starter

PXE E-53: No boot filename received hey guys,

i have an Acer Aspire m5100 with an AMD 64x2 Athion processor running windows vista. I know its not the best but its all i have right now. Im a novice when it comes to technical computer terms and the like, so please try and help me out in a way in which an average pc user would understand.

When i started the pc up this morning, i received the message dhcp......... then PXE E53:no boot filename received. PXE-mof-exiting PXE ROM. Disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter. I dont have the system disk though.

It also says "Yukon PXE V6.15.11 (alpha) (20070328) Pre-boot execution environment v2.1

plus the mac address and the GUID.

My computer was working fine last night so i dont understand what the problem could be. Could this be a virus? I apologize if i sound dumb asking this but i dont have much experience with computers. PLEASE HELP!!!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you turn it off then back on does it work?

Whats happening is that its trying to boot from a Network rather then the hard drive. Which usually means the hard drive is not detected.

Enter the BIOS setup, F2 or F10 I believe, and see if its detecting the hard drive. Also check the boot order, make sure the hard drive is the first item in the list.

3. digitalsatori

digitalsatori

Hi there!

It seems like your computer is not able to boot to your hard drive and was attempting to boot to your laptop's network adapter. The weird messages you're getting are just your computer trying to start up using different ways (the hard drive, the cd drive, and the network). The PXE errors you're getting are actually normal; the part about "Disk boot failure" is the concerning part and could indicate your hard drive has failed.

Have you been having any trouble or strange error messages recently? It is possible the hard drive has failed and will need to be replaced.

How comfortable would you be with downloading a boot disk and trying to run a diagnostic on your laptop?

If you don't feel comfortable with troubleshooting, you may want to contact Acer to see if they have an authorized repair facility or bring it to a local computer repair shop (Best Buy, etc.) to have them replace the hard drive for you.

4. vanessa88

vanessa88 Thread Starter

heyy guys thanks for helping me out with this. i've turned the computer on and off several times and i still get the same error message. I entered the BIOS setup, but how do I know if its detecting the hard drive? I checked the order and its booting from the hard drive first. I also read somewhere to check the date and its correct.

Before this happened it was working fine with no error messages or anything of the sort.
    Digital, do you mean downloading a boot disk from the internet? I dont own another computer, im viewing this site on my friends computer.

Also, a bout how much would you say it costs to replace the hard drive? Is there any way that i would be able to salvage my documents and important pictures?

5. vanessa88

vanessa88 Thread Starter

If i call Acer and get the system disk that its asking me to enter, do you think it would solve the problem?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    On the first page that you see when you enter the BIOS should have a summary, it would be listed there.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

The "system disk" that it is asking for is your hard drive. It can't find a system disk to boot from. It is not some other disk.

You should probably recover your files and documents before you do anything else. Make a CD that you can boot from (like Old Timer's Boot CD or Parted Magic), burn the iso file to CD using your burning software or BurnCDcc (a small, standalone iso burner that needs no installation).

After booting with one of these CD's, copy your files to a USB thumb drive or elsewhere.

Then, you can use your system recovery to restore your system to the way it was when you bought it (tap F9 when the ASUS logo appears at boot time). If there are no hardware faults, that will restore your system, but all you have done since you bought it will be gone.

If you had previously created a disk image, you could have restored that and had everything back to normal in a few minutes. I'd suggest using an external drive and one of these programs to make a disk image periodically. It backs up everything, so it can even restore your system to a new drive.

Free Disk Imaging Tools:

EASEUS Todo Backup
    Runtime Shadow Copy
    SelfImage (Open-source)
    O&O DiskImage Express
    Macrium Reflect
    PING (Partimage Is Not Ghost) (Free alternative to Ghost with more features)
    Paragon Drive Backup Express
    Drive Image XML
    G4U - Ghost For Unix (Platform-independent, floppy or CD)
    DiscWizard (For Seagate or Maxtor drives - contains reduced version of Acronis)

Don't forget to make the boot CD whichever one you choose. If the machine will not boot the operating system, you can still boot from the CD and use its tools to restore the image you made on the external drive.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921301

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice