1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PXE-E61 Media Teat Failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sweetsavanna, Jul 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sweetsavanna

Sweetsavanna Thread Starter

Hi all,
    *Edit to add on my phone and auto correct decided i meant teat not test.. can't seem to edit title sorry. *

Bit of background to how i arrived at the above error.
    Ex partner was it networking computer engineer. A few weeks ago he was here collecting stuff and put a replacement cdrw in my grandaughters system saying try it, if it worked bonus if not put old back in (not a re writer). Today first time I've tried it, it wouldn't open so I've put the original back in. All seemed to be going ok until it wouldn't boot and gave me the above error.

I am fairly tech savvy having lived with an engineer for 14 years but will need step by step instructions.

Is it plugged in and switched on? The hard drive has a cable going to the mother board, should it have one go to power supply too? I've not done anything with hard drive but wondering I accidentally pulled a cable out?

It is an HP compact system running Windows 7.

Can anyone Help?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The hard drive and disc drive should each have power AND data cable connections.

They each need a power connection to get power AND a data connection to move data through.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

The PC is trying to do a PXE boot, which is essentially trying to contact a server and boot from the contents held thereon. This can sometimes happen if there aren't any other boot devices available.

As Frank mentioned, there should be power and data going from these devices. If they're not being detected, that's likely why the PXE boot occurred because it's part of the bootstrap process.

4. Sweetsavanna

Thanks guys.
    Ok..so to start I need to connect power to the HD?
    I saw a connector that went from power supply and looked like it should got to HD, but couldn't fit it in... didn't want to push it if it wasn't happy as didn't want to bend pins.
    Will have another look and let you know.

5. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

SATA and Molex connectors for these drives are moulded so they can only fit one way.

6. Sweetsavanna

Ok, not sure what type of HD it is but.. think I have just had a lightbulb moment.. there is small white 4 pin connector, can't see it plugs into HD but just seen another, longer flat black plug that is on same cable as cd drive.... should that plug into HD..? Wanted to check before i blew anything UP.. IMG_20180709_203958.jpg

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Yes that connector needs to go into the back of the hard drive, it will only fit one way up.

8. lynx1021

lynx1021

Black P4 connector to hard drive, not white, only goes in one way

9. Sweetsavanna

Ok cool thank you very much.
    Will plug it in tomorrow and it should boot up.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212643

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice