1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PXE-E61 Media test failure, check cable after replacing failed Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by techruss, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. techruss

techruss Thread Starter

I am replacing a failed hard drive with a new one for a friend in a Toshiba Satellite P15-S479 laptop and I am getting the following error message. (attempting to install Windows XP)

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
    Invalid partition table

I realize this means its looking for a network cable (and can't find it) to boot on a network.

* I have disabled the "Network Boot" option in the boot menu of the bios
    * I have tested the new hard drive and it will show on another system and allow me to install windows xp on it
    * I have set the CD/DVD rom as the primary boot device and get the same error
    * I have set the Hard Drive as the primary boot device and get the same error
    * I attempted to use a true Windows XP install CD with no luck
    * I attempted to use the Toshiba recovery disc that came with the laptop with no luck
    * I have removed and reinstalled the hard drive and ram to insure they are seated properly

I am at a loss as nothing I do will allow me to get beyond this message to boot to CD and install Windows XP or anything else for that matter.

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

On some Toshiba's I've worked on, including my own Tecra, I press Escape and Function 1 to get a boot menu and with an XP CD in, there's a three second only window in which to "press any key" when the prompt appears. Are you seeing that prompt when you boot from CD? You might also benefit from formatting that hard disk in the other machine if you already started to install on it.

3. techruss

techruss Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Saga, I can reach the boot menu using F12 at startup and even select the CD/DVD Rom but I never get the message that tells you to press any key to boot to CD. It gives a blank screen with a flashing cursor for a moment and then goes back to the error message.

I have tried pressing a key during the flashing cursor but does not work, I never actually get the message to press any key to boot to cd.

Also, I did format the hard drive on another machine and then reinstalled but get the same error.

I think the root problem is that it will not boot to anything other than the "network boot" option even though I have disabled that option.

thanks again

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913044

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice