Status
Not open for further replies.

PXE-E61 media test failure check cable error

Solved 
Tags
pxe-e61
2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
I'm trying to boot my laptop off a linux ISO disc that I just burned, so I can install the ISO. I've done this successfully several times on that laptop. The last time was about a year and a half ago. I know how to do it. You burn an ISO, stick the disc into the DVD drive, change the boot sequence, and boot off it. It's easy. Except this time, I'm getting an error message which says:

PXE-E61 media test failure check cable

It will not boot off the DVD drive.

I googled for answers and found this video:

which doesn't help because my BIOS isn't the same. He's got options I don't have.

Other answers I found said to change the boot sequence in BIOS. That's an obvious answer that I already knew. I did so, but it still won't boot off the DVD.

The DVD shows up in its folder. I can also stick in a music or video CD/DVD, and they work perfectly. The light is on on the drive. There is nothing wrong with the drive, so why am I getting this error and how do you fix it?

See less See more
#5 ·
BTW it is highly advised to create a bootable usb to install linux.
If you REALLY must have a dvd, use imgburn to create the bootable dvd however I would really make a bootable usb using the tool mint says to use for this task.

#7 ·
I downloaded Etcher and then discovered it only does USB. That's when I found Windows 10 has its own DVD burn program, so I used that instead. I've never burned anything onto a USB. I don't have any blank USBs. Do you need a USB write drive for that? Because I don't have one. Since when did burning ISOs onto DVDs become obsolete?

I don't think that's the issue anyway, because after I discovered there's a problem, I stuck a Mint 18.1 DVD and a Mint 17.3 DVD into the drive and tried to boot with them, but the same problem happened. If I recall, I made those with Imgburn. Made the 18.1 last year and the 17.3 a few years ago, and they worked when I made them. They appear in the folder on both the laptop and the Windows 10 machine. So something is wrong, and it's preventing me from booting from them, and I don't know what. It probably has something to do with BIOS.

#8 ·
No you do not need anything special to make a bootable usb; just the usb port on whatever system you are using to make the bootable usb.
It is possible your drive is failing however if other dvds work, it is unlikely. If you really want mint installed, make the bootable usb using the tool recommended by linux. Another usb tool is rufus [which I use to create just about any bootable usb]

#9 ·
Ok. If you can't download a DVD version of Mint 19 then I'll go buy a blank USB stick and figure out how to use it. But why don't the previous DVDs boot? I installed Mint on that laptop, from that DVD drive, several times. They should still boot, as long as I tell it to boot from the DVD drive.

#12 ·
Drives use different lasers for different tasks. If you want to install mint, get the usb. If you want to keep messing with dvds, do so however IF it were me I would stop wasting time and use what mint says to use ie usb and the mint tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.