1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pyrite's Monthly Food Poll #3 - Kind of.

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by pyritechips, Dec 18, 2010.

Advertisement
  1. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    I know this is coming late but December has been very busy for me with extra work, a sick Melissa and now a sick Liam.

Instead of the regular poll I want to ask all of you what your favourite Christmas food is. I know turkey is the traditional food of the season but I'd like to ask: what is your favourite alternate? Your favourite side dish? Favourite drinks or desserts?

My favourite is one I can't get out west here. It is the traditional Quebec Tourtière. For those of you that don't know what it is you can read about it here

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    To accompany the turkey meal I really like Bread Sauce
    (from site below "Traditional bread sauce is one of the great, classic British sauces, but I think it has suffered from either not being made properly or – worst of all – being made from a mix or packet. The real thing is beautifully creamy and the perfect accompaniment to chicken or turkey.")

This is the recipe my mum's used for years and I think it's the best:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/savoury/traditional-bread-sauce.html

Richard

3. Wino

Wino

Spiral cut smoked sugar coated ham or prime rib roast (rare) with a side of baked candied yams.

4. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

Sausage stuffing ... has to be cooked in the bird, has to be made with summer savory (I'm from Nova Scotia, ALL stuffing needs summer savory), has to be served smothered in turkey gravy and a nice added touch is cranberry sauce (whole cranberries, not that jellied ick)

5. poochee

poochee

Alternate meat is baked ham, slowly baked w/pineapple basting.

Side dishes, plain baked yams w/butter. Cornbread dressing with onions and celery and well seasoned w/turkey.

Dessert, mince pie with vanilla ice cream.

Coffee or tea.

6. wowzer

wowzer

(y)

The only meal to have for Christmas dinner... baked ham spiked with cloves and basted with pineapple. add a few quartered red potatos to the ham and well... I think I'll start cooking now
    boiled cabbage, onions and carrots

hot apple pie and room temp aged Wissconson sharp chedder cheese.

7. poochee

poochee

That meal sounds delicious!:)

8. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    I'm not a ham fan; don't dislike it - just got sick of eating so much of it.

I have to add that one of my favourite additions to the turkey supper was my mom's home-made cranberry sauce! ;)(y)

9. wowzer

wowzer

nothing better than that with turkey...

10. Wino

Wino

Some of the best turkey ever was a wild native tom we smoked several years ago. We could almost slice steaks off the breast it was so huge. Beat hands down any of the Butterball 'juiced' turkeys available in the supper markets.(y)

11. paisanol69

paisanol69

The wife and I will be sitting down to a meal of "wild" rabbit, .
    The trimmings will include stuffed baked potatoes (chives, gouda "old"48+cheese,sour cream and real butter), french onion soup, a really nice crispy fresh salad, homemade baked garlic bread (with real garlic) and for desert, we will be having a glop of rich vanilla ice cream, plopped onto a hige slab of homemade apple pie!

After the first effects of overeating have passed, I intend on partaking of a few "curenta y tres" and then helping the lady of the house with the dishes!

12. poochee

poochee

A gourmet feast! Enjoy.:) Merry Christmas!

13. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    Hey paisano, save a seat for me!

14. paisanol69

paisanol69

Poochee for the warm wishes!

I hope your Christmas, and the coming New Year find you warm, safe, and comfortable in your household.
    May you have the best Holiday yet!:)

15. paisanol69

paisanol69

...be welcome in our house Jim, no matter where that house may be!

I hope the little man, and Melissa are feeling better now, and ready for the Holidays!
    He's going to turn out to be a very special man, and its because of the love he is showered with, from both of his parents.

Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year.:)

ps..the Wife's Birthday is tomorrow, so I have been doing a lot of last minute purchases, small suprise gifts, for her! I am about ready to stop slogging thru the snow, to the shopping center, the old legs aint as tough as they used to be..(theres too much snow on the ground right now, for even the Dutch folks to brave it on their bicycles :D)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969276

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice