1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Python For Windows

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by Zat, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zat

Zat Thread Starter

I feel a bit trapped, because there doesn't seem to be a good version of Python for windows. I know there are some, but they aren't open source, and I kind of need that for the project I'm doing (not a project in Python, but rather a project for school.) So, are there any other simple programming languages that are free and open-source? And when I say simple, I mean kindergarten simple.

2. TheRobatron

TheRobatron

www.python.org is the official site for Python - and it's free. Also try Just BASIC at www.justbasic.com. That's the language that I learnt how to program on all those years ago... It's simple and fairly powerful and I would strongly recommend it as it also comes with a very good tutorial on the basics of programming. C++ is slightly more complicated but much more powerful - try an IDE like Bloodshed. All of these are open source.

Happy programming!

3. Zat

Zat Thread Starter

Thanks. Just BASIC is a really good tool, and it'll be great for my presentation.

4. admijr

admijr

I am a junior member, though I script in C, C++, java, vis.basic, flash and Python. I love Python. It's one of the easiest to learn and use. Java, C, C++ ect... are all more complex and demanding and not easy to get around in. Python is extremley powerful and versitile. I would highly reccomend (if you are interested in scripting and other forms of coding) learning Python as it is brilliant.

5. HackmanGT

HackmanGT

I prefer ActiveState Python ... better implementation than other versions,
    and some kind of "freeware" (not open source -- You should research what "open source" means, against "freeware", because since you are a student I almost sure you don't need the "source code" of the compiler or interpreter for your chosen language, you only need something free), with Komodo IDE becomes a nice language to work with.

ActivePython License Agreement
    ActivePython is covered by the ActiveState Community License.
    1. You may use this Package for commercial or non-commercial purposes without charge.

What I mean with this... this is the Python I like to propose an student for a project in school.
    Even when I use Python on Linux for real applications.
    Python 2.4.4 (#2, Apr 5 2007, 20:11:18)
    [GCC 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)] on linux2

6. admijr

admijr

Despite knowing the version that you are talking about, the original Python for Windows still holds my favour as not only was it my first, but on which I built most of my software (along with the py2exe extension) and you are right, I have no desire to look upon, let alone change any parts of the source code, though I can imagine how it all works, I mean I specialize in UIs and so can uderstand how Python is implemented.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/680906

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice