Q about DirectX and windows 7

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bobb4ku

I'm considering upgrading-new install of win7 from winxp...I checked the min req for win7 via MS website and I meet or exceed all except for DirectX. My video card (GeForce FX 5500) supports DirectX 9 not 10...win7 requires-needs ver 10. Not knowing what DirectX was I googled and found that its a series of API's used mostly for multimedia (games) but also serves many other purposes (ie...CAD programs).

So here's my question...with my present video card can I upgrade to win7 without upgrading my card as well ?
Or, is it possible to upgrade to win7 then install ver 10 of DirectX for the above mentioned card ?

Thanks for your input

peterh40

Peter
You can upgrade to Windows 7 and it will have DirectX installed but the 'capabilities of the graphics card will still be stuck at v9 and the only way to get it to use DX 10 features is to replace the card with newer and faster card.

Its like expecting to take a racing driver of a Ferrari and put him in a Ford Mondeo and still expect it to race like a Ferrari, you still have to replace the car (hardware).

bobb4ku

peterh40 thanks I thought so...my card can only support the features of DirectX "up to" v9 :(

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Why did you start a new thread instead of continuing with this thread?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online