1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Q about DirectX and windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bobb4ku, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobb4ku

bobb4ku Thread Starter

I'm considering upgrading-new install of win7 from winxp...I checked the min req for win7 via MS website and I meet or exceed all except for DirectX. My video card (GeForce FX 5500) supports DirectX 9 not 10...win7 requires-needs ver 10. Not knowing what DirectX was I googled and found that its a series of API's used mostly for multimedia (games) but also serves many other purposes (ie...CAD programs).

So here's my question...with my present video card can I upgrade to win7 without upgrading my card as well ?
    Or, is it possible to upgrade to win7 then install ver 10 of DirectX for the above mentioned card ?

Thanks for your input

2. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    You can upgrade to Windows 7 and it will have DirectX installed but the 'capabilities of the graphics card will still be stuck at v9 and the only way to get it to use DX 10 features is to replace the card with newer and faster card.

Its like expecting to take a racing driver of a Ferrari and put him in a Ford Mondeo and still expect it to race like a Ferrari, you still have to replace the car (hardware).

3. bobb4ku

bobb4ku Thread Starter

peterh40 thanks I thought so...my card can only support the features of DirectX "up to" v9 :(

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Why did you start a new thread instead of continuing with this thread?

-----------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084854

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice